Genesis 2 region switch

Started by Kelek, March 02, 2007, 12:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelek

I'm completely new to modding things and I thought my genesis would be a good thing to use to get into modding. I have a second model genesis and its a model mk-1631. I was wondering if it is possible to put in a region switch with this model, and if so how. If you need more info just tell me. Thanks.

I think i may have found a site that helps me. If someone could verify that this works:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2switches.htm
That would be awesome.

Kelek

Yeah that helped a lot. I got all the wires in place, but i seemed to have lost the switch I was going to use. But I think I go everything right. Thanks!

Kelek

Quick question Blackevilweredragon, or to anyone who used the same site; if im using the standard a/v cable I cannot use the 50/60hz switch because that only works with Scart cables, correct?

You do not need to use SCART cables to make the 50/60Hz mod work. Believe it or not but there is nothing particularly special about SCART. SCART is just a plugset collection of wires and it is used to send the same signals that are available in different plugs. This is why you can have composite, s-video, RGB and even component now over a SCART line. So just make your sync switch and use whatever cable you like, it will work.

blackevilweredragon

You will need RGB however..  The chroma encoder internally on the Genesis was only designed for whichever region it is put in.  (the crystal that drives it actually), and thus, you need RGB, to bypass the chroma encoder, if you want color..

Guest_Kelek

I know this should probably be in the video thread stuff, but how would I go about making my v2 gen RGB in the video department? If someone could post a decent link or two, with a butt load of pictures, that's all I'll need. Thanks again!