Coleco/Playpal Miniture Sega Game Gear

Started by viletim, January 28, 2007, 01:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viletim

I'm refering to a small portable console that contains 20 8-bit sega games. It's sold under the badges Coleco and Playpal (maybe others too), and is aparently available through various shops in North America. Here's a picture.

I heard about them a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to buy one online without any luck. After a bit of searching I found an online shop that claimed to post these things internationally (for a enoumous postage cost) but had my order canceled with a strange "were're not allowed to export these" excuse. There's also someone on ebay.com flogging them (seems to be the same mob that registered the playpalworld.com domain name) but my questions about postage to Australia go unanswered.

Before I simply give up I thought I'd ask here. Anyone seen one of these at their local shop and wouldn't mind wrapping it up and posting it to Australia?

kendrick

Tim, these things are in Target stores all over the States. Assuming nobody beats me to it, I can get one to you in about two weeks (I have a work-related travel thing that otherwise delays me.) I assume that you don't mind that the US version is an NTSC model, right?

-KKC

NFG

That's pretty neat.  How's the screen?  I mean, it can't suck as much as the original GG...  =)

viletim: I suppose I knew this but it's new to me again.  Where in AUS are you?  (I'm in Brisbane)

kendrick

I've not actually seen one in action before. I imagine that the screen is that same 320x240 thing that the VideoNow and the Fruitbox machines use, as it's a nice low-bidder component. Of course, the fact that it produces composite video out and has the potential for software modification is what interests us. The $50 price tag makes me hope that it's a higher quality product than the first impression indicates.

-KKC, deleting foreign language spam from the forums. Hoo.

viletim!

Thanks Kendrick. I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. NTSC is fine, perhaps even better than a slower 50Hz PAL version.

Lawrence, I'm in Sydney.

kendrick

Hey Tim, PM me about getting one of these things. Or check your GamesX inbox, please.

-KKC

kendrick

Okay, this stinks. I've been to five Target stores in the last 48 hours and I haven't found one of these Playpal things. Plenty of Muchis though. The website says the one oustide of town might have one in stock, so I'm going to get together my bribe money and my redneck-to-English dictionary and head out there next.

-KKC, who just discovered that Diet Mountain Dew has Splenda in it. Ick.

viletim!

QuoteThe website says the one oustide of town might have one in stock, so I'm going to get together my bribe money and my redneck-to-English dictionary and head out there next.
Haha. Thanks Kendrick, I appreciate you're persistance. Though if it's too much trouble, don't worry about it.

Drewman21

We Have some in fargo ND at our target.  If you can let me know your address and shipping cost I could see about snaging one for you.  Let me know.

kendrick

Tim, I'm coming up empty here in Florida. Sorry that I couldn't deliver. Drewman, thanks for picking up the slack, hope you two can work something out.

-KKC