News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Apple Pippin

Started by Hojo_Norem, January 10, 2007, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hojo_Norem

Well, I was cleaning up when I found a curious box gathering dust in my room.  I remember that a college at work.  This is the first time I decided to power it on.  I can find little precious info on it, with all sources Google could find telling me that it is is rarer than hens teeth to find and even harder to find complete and harder still to find software.

As you can see from the image that the CD player is running, but alas I have no other software to test on it.  Of all the sites I found, none could tell me the value of it today.  Anybody here got an idea?
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

NFG

Pippins are not rare or hard to find in Japan, but they are considerably rarer in North America where sales were extremely limited.  Yours looks brand new, which is impressive.  It's a shame it was a realy slow, underpowered machine with no good software.

kendrick

Weighing in, just to expand on what Lawrence has said briefly: The Pippin is pretty rare in North America, but the lack of any distinction lowers its perceived value considerably. Unlike the CD-i, there was no cross-licensed character game featuring Zelda, Mario, or some other franchise one might obsess over. Unlike the Jaguar, there was no killer app like Tempest 2000 or neat feature like the Virtual Light Machine. Unlike the Arcadia, the Pippin has no particular historical relevance. And unlike the Neo Geo, there is no rabid fanbase trading games and hacks underground. That the Pippin is obscure is the only distinction, and even that doesn't set it apart from the pack.

The Pippin, the Tandy VIS and the Commodore CD32 might each fetch a hundred dollars or more from an interested collector. But everybody who might want one doesn't want it to use it, which makes it hard for any seller to justify parting with it. Without getting into details or legal issues, it's worth mentioning that ISO images of games downloaded from the usual sources should run perfectly fine on the Pippin without any sort of modification to the unit.

-KKC, who gave up his CD-i and some other pieces of hardware for reasons best described as 'practical.'

Hojo_Norem

QuotePippins are not rare or hard to find in Japan, but they are considerably rarer in North America where sales were extremely limited. Yours looks brand new, which is impressive. It's a shame it was a realy slow, underpowered machine with no good software.

Mine must be rarer still cause its a UK model.  It looks brand new because it practiaclly is.  I would guess that in the image I posted it the first time it's been powered on.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

Computolio

The CD-I really only has novelty value because the games are such incredible shit. At least you can turn the CD32 back into a real Amiga, or burn all the Amiga's floppy-based games to CD and run them from there.

The Pippin basically had one real game, called Racing Days, and I've never heard from anyone who's actually played it. Thank God Apple dropped this thing like a bad habit or else the company would've killed itself pretty damn dead just getting it out the door.

OliverKnight

Thats the 'world edition' that was generally only sold in America. Rarer and more expensive than the white Japanese version. Thats if anyone is bothered with buying it, like has been said, its a pretty dire console with very little software, only collectors and the curious buy it.

Pippin

Pippin on ebay

ken_cinder

Sorry for the evil bump, but I never noticed this topic.

I hate you, the Pippin is on my list of collection "Wants" for my CD/DVD standlone systems (Nothing like the Sega CD, only standalones), and that list has grown quite short now with only this, the Bandai Playdia and a CD-i on it.
To my knowledge, I own everything else. Haven't picked one of these up yet, because as stated there is VERY limited use for it and a VERY poor software collection..........making the $100+ price tags one sees on them, extremely easy to say no to.

phreak97

if you want more information, there are plenty of crazy crazy people on www.digitpress.com. im sure someone there will want it :)
hell, i want it:P but i dont have the money to spare.

sharpie

I collect obscure and non-successful gaming systems, but I won't even go near one of these.  I hear actually that a PowerMac can run the games and software for this anyway.  Maybe this machine holds the Guiness record for being the most successful at being bad.