PS2 won't play DVDs

Started by blackevilweredragon, December 25, 2006, 10:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I just got a brand new Slim PS2, as an early christmas present..

I want to play DVD movies on it (it's honestly the best player i have, the only one that does 480p)

right out of the box, it won't play a movie..  it says the parental controls prohibit playback..  It would not let me enter 7444 into the box..  How do I enter the numerical digits?

NFG

on my PStwo I had to enable parental controls (I didn't) as they were disabled by default.  Is it possible you got a used/returned/reconditioned unit?

Call Sony's support and get them to tell you, if they're still open.

blackevilweredragon

Quoteon my PStwo I had to enable parental controls (I didn't) as they were disabled by default.  Is it possible you got a used/returned/reconditioned unit?

Call Sony's support and get them to tell you, if they're still open.
it was a brand new item..

i called sony's emergency line..  apparently, during testing, some idiot forgot to DELETE the password, and forgot to do something, that put the numeric numbers back on the top of the box..  it was a simple fix, so simple it's embarassing..

they gave me a utility in an email to put on a flash stick..  it formats the flash stick with some custom file system i think, cause my computer needed to reformat it when i was done..  i then boot up the PS2 with it, and it will reflash it's memory..

I regained DVD Playback immediately (and all version numbers remained the same too, as it was the exact utility used on mine during testing)

Codeman

this "utility" seems really interesting, can you share it with us???

phreak97

i asked for it a while back in a pm but no luck.. perhapse you've had more luck recently blackevilweredragon? it could be an extremely useful piece of software..

l_oliveira

Hey guys ...  7444 only works if you "HOLD SELECT DUNRING INPUT"
Works on all models and it's even on the manual. But sadly they fail as they don't mention that you need to hold select for it to work...
Funny but in my SCPH-10000 the DVD utility disc has an electronic manual and it explains the password reset procedure properly.

phreak97

handy bit of info, but i suspect people wanting the software is for more reason than to reset parental controls. such a thing sounds like it could be used as a launcher for other code. lots of fancy stuff could be done if that's the case.

l_oliveira

By the way ... The PS2 has no USB drivers on it's ROM.
So it cannot read USB flashdrives on it's own.
Games that use USB ports come with the USB driver usbd.irx and other specific drivers for keyobards, mouse or modems.

Homebrewn usually load drivers from ROM but they require usbd.irx to access flashdrives. That's another proof of what I am saying.

So man don't expect to receive this "utility" because it doesn't exist.

phreak97

i suspect you might be right.. sony would never give out a self booting flash drive, much less say "oh yes, we tested yours with this utility, sorry abou that, heres the utility to use for yourself".. also afaik testing is not done by humans.. and if 7444 works while holding select, that's what would be given out.

i think blackevilweredragon had some trouble early on, i seem to remember someone trying to get him banned a long time ago. if this thread is a lie, he may have straightened out since then. it's an old thread, lets not go on a witch hunt just yet ok?

blackevilweredragon, by all means, jump in and redeem yourself:)

l_oliveira

Explaining the procedure properly just for archiving on the forum:

1- Insert a DVD video disc on the PS2 (matching region or free region)
2- At the root menu of the DVD video disc press select to summon the DVD player menu and choose "Setup" (Icon looks like a box)
3- In the third optionm "Custom Setup" select "Parental Control". It will show a box with 4 positions and a numeric keyboard
4- Hold "Select Button" for a brief moment. The text on the box will change from "Enter Password" to "Delete Password"
5- Enter "7444". If successful the PS2 will show "Deletion complete" and will ask for a new password.
6- Register your new password and confirm (I use "0000" because I'm lazy)
7- EJECT the disc WITHOUT turn the PS2 off. If you fail to do this, the settings you changed won't be stored on the PS2 EEPROM.