News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

PlayStation Driver

Started by blackevilweredragon, December 21, 2006, 11:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

So, since I might be getting a slim PS2 for christmas, I have this question, which I am just thinking about...

On the old PS2, in the PlayStation Driver menu, it don't save.  You have to apply settings each time you play a PS1 game..

Does the slim PS2 save the settings?  If not, is there a modification that can be made, that fixes this?

kendrick

PS2 backward compatibility firmware revisions 1.1 and later should retain the settings for CD drive speed and texture mapping. All of the slimline units should be running 1.3 or newer, so you ought to be fine. I'm not an expert though, and I keep a PSOne unit around just so I don't have to mess with those options if I'm not in the mood to. :)

-KKC

blackevilweredragon

heh, good..

i just hope my mother doesn't ended up getting the 75000 that has the problem with some games, PS1 and PS2 games..  that would totally suck..

blackevilweredragon

oh, and how does Crash Bandicoot Racing do it's graphics on a real PS1?  It does look like it does texture smoothing on real PS1 hardware..  the regular Crash Bandicoot games seem to do the same too (not as much though)..

I assume just programming tricks?

NFG

The slim PS2s don't have any settings for PS1 games, they are not enhanced at all.  This feature was removed.

[edited to correct typo]

blackevilweredragon

slim PS1, or slim PS2?  because i know someone with a slim PS2, and before his died, he did have settings for texture mapping..

NFG

As far as I'm aware none of the slim PS2 units have this option.  I was pretty sure, in fact, that Sony even dropped it from the features list.

Not that it was any GOOD, you traded pixelly crap for dithered crap.

blackevilweredragon

dithered crap, sounds more like what my PSone does..  it's dithering method is different than my old PSX..

blackevilweredragon

just got the slim PS2, it does have settings, and for Nascar 99, it looks like ass...  For Final Fantasy 7, it looks awesome (battle scenes and world map).

EDIT:  I just noticed my PS2 supports RGB instead of Component...

That normal?  It's a US model..

kendrick

All PS2 units support RGB output for games. In the States, DVD movie playback is restricted to component output because of the whole Macrovision copy protection requirement. I'm not sure if other regions get to play their DVD movies with RGB output or not.

-KKC

Midori

Strangely neither the European modells of the PS2 can playback DVD movies in RGB, some RGB Scart cables sold here even has a switch so that you can switch to composite when you are watching a movie instead of playing.

blackevilweredragon

yea, my new slim PS2 don't even keep the PS Driver settings...  oh well..

FM-77

My PAL SCPH-70004 (v12) didn't save the PS1 settings (and it had them). DVD movies can be watched with RGB if you have a modchip such as Matrix Infinity that features the "green screen fix."

blackevilweredragon

FM-77

Quotemines model 77001, NTSC
That's the latest NTSC model (v16).

blackevilweredragon

is it the model that had compatibility problems?

RobIvy64

"Console Mods" lurker

kendrick

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what exactly are those compatibility problems? Are we just talking about a handful of PS1 games that nobody liked, or are we talking about some endemic functionality issues in all games? Sony's website doesn't appear to reference that model number in any useful way, and all the Google searching brings up modchip pages.

-KKC, who should use this downtime for gaming and not talking about gaming. :)

blackevilweredragon

it affects PS2 games too..  things like freezing at some screens, or being totally glitchy...

phreak97

you dont need a mod chip to watch dvd's via rgb on the old style ps2's, im not sure about the new ones. but i found a site at some point which had a whole lot of photo's of different board versions and how to force pal and ntsc (not to be confused with 50/60), and how to enable rgb dvd playback, they were all single wire mods, i dont think they even required you to cut any traces. i only ever did a force pal mod though, never tried the others, my pal ps2 has a "PAL/SOFT CONTROLLED" switch hidden in the hard drive bay, for those of you who want to play imports but have a single format tv. google it, i dont know the page anymore. "ps2 color mod"
some original playstation versions had a similar deal going, others needed a chip.

GUTS

I've modded a ton of slim PS2 systems and never encountered one that didn't have the disc speed and texture smoothing options for psone games, I've also never encountered one that saves those settings once the system is put in standby mode or turned off.  Can anyone confirm that there is a version that actually saves those settings?  Because if there really is I'd like to track it down, I hate having to turn them on everytime I go to play a PSone game.

NFG

My PStwo definitely does not have the PS1 options.  If it DOES have them I can't find them anywhere in the system menu.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteMy PStwo definitely does not have the PS1 options.  If it DOES have them I can't find them anywhere in the system menu.
It's not accessed like a normal system menu..  When at the main screen, where you select options or browser, hit the Triangle, then where it says PlayStation Driver, hit the button for options..

GUTS

You hit triangle twice from the main menu on every system I've run across to get to the PSone drivers.