Opening Sharp X68000 Expert

Started by sunny, December 19, 2006, 07:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

After the most exciting half hour of my life my "new" X68 broke. No surprise that the power adapter is the quilty component. To make things even worse Detana Twinbee disks seems to be stuck as there is no power :/

What screws should I open in order to get the unit to open? Is there something that is likely to break when opening the unit? Thanks for your time.

NFG

The side with the drives houses the PSU.  There are three screws on the back panel, undo them and the panel will slide right off.

And by 'slide right off' I mean 'enrage you for half an hour'.  There are three clips along the front of the system, where the side panel 'clicks' into the front vertical fascia.  You need to depress the side panel, and pull the panel back.  You will also need to rotate the fascia so it doesn't twist and slide along with the panel as you slide it backwards.

It's a massive pain in the ass.

Then you need to find a tiny PSU and solder it all together!

http://nfggames.com/nfg/x68repair/

sunny

Thanks for the info! I managed to open it without breaking anything. The fuse seems to be broken from the PSU and I actually heard a condensator breaking. I just hope that the motherboard didn't suffer too. What a day. From wuthering heights to the bottom of the ocean. :(

Do you have any idea where to get a small enough PSU?

Sharp is superb machine! I just hope that I will be able to repair it. I already spent truckloads of perfectly good money in order to get the damn machine and a multisync monitor from Japan.

NFG

I have a few power supplies left from Japan, I'm not aware of any other source for them.  I'd just buy them from a shop in tokyo, and they don't mail-order.  =/

Any Flex-ATX power supply should work for you.  I used SevenTeam's ST-150SL but seems to have been superseded by their ST-220FAB unit.  It's massive overkill for the X68, but it fits with room to spare.

If you want to buy one of mine, drop me a PM (you'll need to register).

GZeus

QuoteFrom wuthering heights to the bottom of the ocean.
I now have Kate Bush stuck in my head.
I wish you luck.
That is all.

sunnyoffline

Do you think that this would be OK to use?
Seventeam Electronics ST-136D
Size: 235x70x40 mm 136w
+3,3V    6A
+  5V     15A
+12V    4,5A
-12V      0,3A      
+5V      2A