News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

SNES mod

Started by tiktektak, December 18, 2006, 11:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiktektak

Hy people!

I'd just like to ask a little maybe silly question.
If I've got an european SNES and want to play US/JAP NTSC games is it enough
to cut open the cartridge insert a little with a cutter and deactivate the regional lockout chip? Or do I need to install the 50/60Hz switch as well?
I suppose I should do all of the modifications am I right?

Regards

TTT

sebi1000

I think, it doesn�t work.
But you can look for help under
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/index.htm  
or you can connect the region chip from a pal game to the snes like in the N64 on the following page
http://www.project-casemod.de/modules/newb...df273b8989472a3

Shadow_Zero

What I'm wondering is what is the best way to get the pins off the board?
Really heating it up with a solder and then get them out with a small needle?
It seems like an ant job not suited for human hands    :blink:  

NFG

I use a tiny screwdriver.  Wedge it under the pin (gently!) and heat the pad, prying (gently!) on the pin with the driver in the other hand.

Do it gently (really!) and you'll be fine.

Make sure your iron's clean too, so you can leave a clean chip leg without gobs of solder all over the place.

Shadow_Zero

Hmmmz, I succeeded in this mod apparently, but now I have problems.
I tried a US game in an open SNES, after testing a few PAL games, and that didn't work. Then I found out that 2 soldered wires broke lose, so I soldered them again, but I can't get it to work anymore.
Tried a few games and I get black screens. With Donkey Kong Country 3 I get a message that the game is not the right region.
I re-run the wires multiple times, but I can't find anything wrong.
Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Shadow_Zero

Adding to that, I don't know what switch position is supposed to do what.
Following mmmonkey's guide, there are two switches with 3 poles:

Region switch
1st pole: 2.2K Ohm resistor + 5v =
2nd pole: lockout pin =
3rd pole: Ground =

50/60Hz switch
1st pole: 2.2K Ohm resistor =
2nd pole: PPU1 + PPU2 pin =
3rd pole: Ground =

Could someone fill that in?  :)

Not sure if I use the correct switches, since mine have 3 positions while only two are needed. I have an other modded SNES (bought) which has 2-position switches (but you still need 3 poles to solder on, not?).

phreak97

it's basic logic, so you could use a two pin switch with a pulldown resistor, but it isnt necesary, and honestly, a three pin switch is probably better. anyway, the side with the 5v through a resistor is the 60Hz (us, japan, etc) side. (the reason i said pin and not pole is cos i think you are confusing the terms. two pins = one pole. three pins = two pole.) you could use a six pin switch (basically two double pole switches in one switch) and then attach the lockout mod to the other pins, so that when on it's native region it will be enabled. this will give you a higher range of games that will work.. but it's probably extra-complicating things.

if native games are playing but import games are not playing: make sure you have disabled the lockout chip aswel as done the 50/60 mod

if nothing is playing: check the pins around the area where you added the wires to the ppu's. if you have accidentally bridged other pins wiht solder, then things wont do what theyre meant to, and hopefully everything is revivable, it may not be.

If you are having trouble following mmmonkey's guide, use ours instead.
GameSX SNES 50/60 mod
GameSX SNES lockout mod

mechagouki

Why not just buy a US or JP SNES/SFC off eBay and save yourself a heap of trouble? Unless your TV is from the dark ages it should accept 50 and 60hz signals, you can get a step down for the power adapter from Radio Shack (Tandy) or rewire your own (US SNES has dedicated adapter plug). Less trouble and risk than tinkering with the machines internal workings. I'd recommend the US model personally, you can make it play JP games in about 30 seconds using a pair of long-nose pliers, sure it's an ugly console, but it's all about the games right?

Shadow_Zero

But how does a NTSC console play PAL games?

EDIT:
Hmmmz, reading http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-tabs.htm it seems it's a matter of applying the lockout chip and 50/60Hz switch :)

Tiido Priimägi

A real PAL game will have horrible slowdown in NTSC (Like Sonics on MD, when started in PAL and switched to NTSC)... usually gameplay just gets faster.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Shadow_Zero

Quote from: Tiido Priimägi on October 02, 2008, 01:22:37 AM
A real PAL game will have horrible slowdown in NTSC (Like Sonics on MD, when started in PAL and switched to NTSC)... usually gameplay just gets faster.

Horrible slowdown and gameplay just gets faster...? How should I read that?   ???

l_oliveira

If you want challenge, play the PAL Mario Kart on a NTSC SNES :)

Shadow_Zero

Quote from: l_oliveira on October 02, 2008, 07:43:52 AM
If you want challenge, play the PAL Mario Kart on a NTSC SNES :)

Care to explain? :)

l_oliveira

Mario Kart is a older game (1992) and at the time they were not checking the PPU (graphics chip) status register to read if the system was running in 50 or 60hz (so MK don't print a wrong region message).
And MK for PAL regions were optimized for running in 50hz, which means it will get a speed boost if played on a NTSC console.

Shadow_Zero

Ah, ok!
But PAL games on a region-free NTSC SNES on 60Hz, is that slowdowned? Or what did Tiido Priimägi mean?