help with ps2 rgb/vga cable

Started by suicidalmonkey, November 28, 2006, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suicidalmonkey

So I've been trying to put together my own rgb cable for my ps2 and I've been having some problems.  The monitor I'm trying to connect to is a wells gardner d9500 arcade monitor.  It uses a 15pin dsub connector as any normal crt monitor would.  It can automatically sync between 15, 25, and 31 khz.  Playing mame games at native res is no problem.

Now, when I made the cable, I followed the standard lm1881n type circuit minus the 220uf caps on RBG.  Now, if I leave pin 3 from the lm1881n disconnected from pin 14 on the dsub connector I get some output, but the picture is rolling on the screen horizontally with a "no sync" message from the monitor.  If I connect this, I get a blank screen.  I had hoped that the screen was just dim, but I can't see ANYTHING on the screen.  Not even the slightest.  Also, when playing games at 15khz through mame the monitor makes a certain high pitched noise that I definitely don't hear when I get the blank screen through the ps2 cable.  

By all rights, this should work.  I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Can anyone lend a hand?  I'm about to give up and send ultimarc a ton of money to make the problem go away...lol.

Thanks

RGB32E

Buy an Extron RGB interface off of ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Extron-RGB-202-Univers...1QQcmdZViewItem

Wire it up, and BOOM, you're done!  B)  

kripp

I had built an RGB cable for my PSOne, worked great for that console. I had hopes that it would work just fine for the PSTwo, but it had some serious issues.

Instead of using a LM1881N in the cable, I modified the PSOne mainboard to output the sync signal to the A/V connector. This is why the cable would not work on the PSTwo and I had to include the LM1881N and atleast one capacitor to the cable (green line).

Now the cable works great on any of the Playstation consoles I throw it at!