Wii Video Input Problem

Started by ChristmasGT, November 24, 2006, 08:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristmasGT

Today I started work on on the Component inputs for the Wii, and no matter what I did I COULD NOT get color, so after looking over everything trying to figure out what my problem was I looked on the Video Input on the Console itself and found 2 damaged contacts

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3066/problemaj8.jpg

I know that Picture shows the Cable itself, but its those pins inside of the console, I'm not sure if the Acco #1 clips went in wrong or what happend, but I need to find a way to repare the contacts so when I do get a component cable (which god i hope is soon) it will work.

Thankfully my brother also has a Wii so I went ahead and borrowed his composit cable to see if I got video and audio still and it still works just fine, I'm worried that component wont

edit:

I just checked, and its Pins 5 and 12, 5 being the Audio Ground for the left channel, and 12 being the Video ground.  And looking over the component cable diagram it appears that 5 and 12 are both Grounds also.  so I should still be good?

Those are for composit video though.  I'm still getting Video AND sound so is that any indication that they are still making contact?

NFG

Ground is ground, if you have one you have them all.  If you had NO ground you'd get no sound or video (or anything at all).

I wouldn't mind knowing how you managed to damage them, and how bad it really is.

Dark

Dude, your problem is 100 percent 8/10 pin connection.

I had the same issue, I posted early that you mess with the 8/10 cross while the system is on and you'll eventually see yourself hit the right spot because the color will come on and 480p is enabled.

And I doubt you broke the pin, mine never sat up quite the same after I popped them out, but all you need is any contact at all and you transfer current, so there shouldn't be any worries.

ChristmasGT

actually im talking about the pins in the Wii itself rather than the cable pins. I think the reason I wasnt getting color is that I wasn't getting contact with the YB/YR pins due to them being damaged in the wii.

and lawrence I think the paperclips (ac #1s) slid in too low, and pushed the contacts in the Wii back.

If the Wiki page (located here http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout) is correct with its Component Pin out, if so then I can live without 5 and 12 being damaged contacts

ChristmasGT

I must have damaged pin PR, becuase im not Getting any red, but the rest of the colors are all there, like other people my pin is just "shoved' back, is there ANY way to fix this without having to open the wii?

If there were a pair of tweesers small enough I could just reach and pull it back out.  any ideas at all?

Subfightr

hey guys. I know your pain, I went throught the exact same thing.

I was able to get mine back in shape by getting two small screw drivers one on each side, each pressing on the messed up pin and pulling up and out. When your done the pin will not stay, it will slide back down and will be bent outward a bit. So I took a needle and some super glue, dipped the needle in the super glue and applied it to the very tip of the messed up pin.

Originally I was unable to get a something behind the pin, so I had to use the Needle to pick at the pin a bit.

On one of the pins I was able to bend it and then get a pair of tweezers in there to pull it up. I had to pull quite hard. Be careful you dont pull it out. Also had to apply super glue to that pin as well. just a TINY DAB is all you need. Make sure you dont glob it on there so it runs down the pin, which woudlnt allow you to make proper contact. It may be worth a shot to apply the glue with the output facing the ground know what I mean? So your looking UP and dabbing the needle with a dab of glue on the tip of the pin

That was the last straw for me, I was never able to get the component to work :( So I ... quit.. For now atleast, heh..

Best of luck to ya.