Wii Component cable is available in the US!!!

Started by RGB32E, November 16, 2006, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthera

I have in my hands a japanese S-Video cable. I'll take pictures of the pins tonight.

h8eight

I'm trying to make russell's component plug because i ruined by composite cables by making the component cable. Anyways, yeah so i had some success. Now when i had it ready to go i pluged the y cable and the black and white image was there but it was fuzzy and scrambled, then i tried yb and pb and my end result either came blueish or yellowish but now i can see the picture clearly but there is some fuz but that will be corrected with the ground. My question is that i did not have 8 & 10 jumpered so will that solve the problem and will all my colours show?

SkiDragon

I just wanted to say that I successfully constructed a component cable using the paper clip method and an old set of RCA cords. I just soldered directly to the paper clips, only took about 2 hours or so. I used hot glue to reinforce the cord.

Barna

Hi All

Here's my (yet untested) solution for a Wii component cable. Thanks to all you guys who made this possible.
I've built this one using (I think) a plug from an old 5�-inch minifloppy (5.25-inch floppy) drive cable, and some RCA cables (one Nintendo composite and a generic audio cable). I saw off most of the floppy plug on all four sides, it doesn't look much like the original :-). It should also be possible to use a part of an ISA slot from an old motherboard. I used the same type of plug for a nicely fitting Gamecube RGB cable. It sure is nicer than the paper clip method :-)
I'll test it in about 24 hours as soon as I get my Wii at a midnight launch party (launch is on 7th December here in Switzerland).

Pictures:

Thanks again,
Barna

syzygy

Quote@ RGB32E

Since you live near NOA can I send you some paypal cash and you pick up a cable for me?
I'd need to check to see if they even have any available.  I bought mine on 11/16/06 (and created this thread)... I'm not using the one I bought... :P  What's your price?
Lol are you running an auction now?

I'm not really looking to buy your only cable at an inflated price. If NOA has some in stock and you were to go down and pick me up one, I'd pay for the cable, shipping and some extra for your troubles.

Get me on AIM (syzygy350z) and we can talk.

syzygy

QuoteI have in my hands a japanese S-Video cable. I'll take pictures of the pins tonight.
Can you get ahold of a multimeter and trace to where the pins go?

RGB32E

Nintendo has stock of the component cable.  Just go to store.nintendo.com and order one... less trouble for you and me.  I was just kidding about selling the cable! :P

neko

Thanks everybody for the useful information. I build my own component video cable last night.

Just like what acem77 did, I was intended to use the original pins, but turns out I broke 3 pins out of 6 of the originals.

instead of using paper clips, I took the pins found from a XBOX composite cable.
The length and the size of the xbox pins are very close to the originals, with a little effort to adjust the curve it will fit into the Wii socket quite well.

I also added a mode switch into the cable, in the hope that someone will get the S-Video pinout soon for a further modification.
Please keep up the good work! :)

remy1701

QuoteI was doing some testing with my Wii the other night, connecting the Y, Pb, Pr pins to the RGB inputs on my tv in various combinations.  I discovered that with pins 8 & 10 NOT jumpered, pin 7 still outputs the Y signal, but pin 9 outputs a signal that appears to be Chroma, rather than Pb.

I don't have a TV with S-Video inputs to test this further, so perhaps someone else could try this.  Again, that is 8&10 not jumpered, 7-Y, 9-C.  Of course make sure to connect pin 12 (video ground) to the shielding on your S-video cable.
Pin 9 IS Chroma for S-Video.  I wish I'd caught that myself.  And here I had settled for stealing my color off of the composite signal.  Things are looking pretty good now.

NFG

One of the tenets of GameSX, Seemore, is doing your own research.  If you'd checked the wiki you'd see that the pinout confirms the one you posted.

Griff

I tried to make the s-video cable but i dunno if im gonna be able to get it working.

Imho it is nearly impossible to move a pin inside the plug. I dont understand how you guys make it? It took me half an hour to get 2 out and then i tried to insert 1 into slot 7 and it broke directly.

The second one wont slide in right no matter what i do.

I underestimated how hard it was to move pins. Kudos to you who can pull it off.

:(  

GZeus

QuoteOne of the tenets of GameSX, Seemore, is doing your own research.  If you'd checked the wiki you'd see that the pinout confirms the one you posted.
Plain fact:
The attitude you display here has gotten me banned from other forums, Lawrence.

I understand that's not possible here, but with all due respect, you're being a dick, and inviting this by letting non-registered people post here.

Also, when I posted something like that it was in response to sarcasm, veiled insults, BLATANT insults... Not "PUNCH THE NOOB!!!"
Even then, I'm not saying what I'd done is appropriate.
Just that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

NFG

GZeus you're not going to last long around here if you keep up with that attitude.  You don't know what you're talking about and should stop looking for a fight.

Your experiences on other forums are irrelevent.

Your opinions on my policies are worthless for the purposes of this discussion thread.  If you want to air your beefs, there are places on the forum you can do that.

We do not support lazy people, and it's official policy that people be taught how to fish: we don't give fish away.

Griff

I made the s-video cable today. Sorta.

First i tried to use paperclips instead of pins, but after seeing that they made BIG scratches on the conector inside the wii, i tried the folder paper aproach.

I connected 5, 7 and 9, and left the 12 out because i had problems getting connection. I got a too dark picture with much colours altho some crawl but somewhat sharper then the composit.

Now a question: The pins broken on the original composit cable is left ground and video ground. When i connect it i dont get any picture. Do i need video ground to get a pic:mellow:  

GZeus

QuoteGZeus you're not going to last long around here if you keep up with that attitude.

[Massive off-topic whinge moved by NFG.  If you want to read it, you can.]

Cybertron

Grr, so close to getting it working with Russell's template.  I also tried the paper clip method, but I had green ghosting (probably because I hadn't grounded the cables), and after having accidentally broken off one of the ground connections already I wasn't too keen on messing any further with the one and only working connector that I had, so I put it back together as stock composite.

So I figured Russell's template was a godsend because I could do it without messing up my existing connector at all.  I managed to get every color except red to display, but my contact wires weren't secured well enough and when I tried to readjust to get it working everything went downhill from there.  Unfortunately by this time it was midnight so I didn't really have time to go back and try again.

Part of my problem was not using a thick enough piece of wire to create the bump so I had trouble getting the wires to contact, but I also couldn't seem to secure the wires well enough so that when I manipulated the other end (say to plug it into my TV) it wouldn't make the connector wires wiggle out of place.  Any suggestions?  I used the stickiest tape I could find, and it also seemed to help to put little pieces of stripped insulation in between the bare wires to maintain their spacing (the insulation is just about the perfect width to separate the wires right onto each contact).

do these component cables work on a normal crt tvs.

Cybertron

Okay, tried again tonight and got it working...I have no confidence that I'll be able to get it to work again if I take it out, but it should hold me over until I can find some reasonably priced component cables.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.:)

^^ If your CRT is EDTV or HDTV and has component inputs, then yes.

----

I ordered component cables from NOA this Monday and they shipped today!

Now I have to wait 5 days for the package to make its way over here

Jim

I just spoke to Gamestation (UK) today and they said Nintendo are releasing the RGB Scart cable next Friday (15th).  Is there any way of finding the RGB Scart pinout before the cable is released?  I'm playing Zelda but the crappy composite picture is annoying the hell out of me.  I don't have a component input so I guess I'll have to wait for the s
Scart.  I'm going to whip up an S-Video cable now and see how much of an improvement it is over the composite.  I'm planning on making a break out box once I know the RGB Scart pinout, may as well put component in it for when I do upgrade.  What are the chances of the Wii being able to output VGA (HD-15)?  Also, any word on digital audio output?

Cheers for the info and work so far guys :D , I'll post back some comparison pics between the Composite and S-Video.

Jim

(From the wiki)

Two of the remaining pins are probably spoken for by S/PDIF and S-Video chroma

You've found chroma :)

Well, has it been confirmed that the PAL Wii is able to output S-Video ?

PAL GC had RGB, but no SVideo
NTSC GC had Svideo, but no RGB

When looking at cables for Wii available in Europe (no svideo) and in US (no RGB), it seems to be the same for the Wii.

Pacote

Just made my cable today

Used silicon inside the cable and i can unplug and plug the cable as i could when it was untouched.

Some pics from Zelda:TP 480p

QuoteWell, has it been confirmed that the PAL Wii is able to output S-Video ?

PAL GC had RGB, but no SVideo
NTSC GC had Svideo, but no RGB

When looking at cables for Wii available in Europe (no svideo) and in US (no RGB), it seems to be the same for the Wii.

I hoped it would have S-Video, but I made the cable last night and no luck, just a whole lot of blankness :( .  It looked so damn good as well!  So, looks like Nintendo are skimping on outputs like with the Cube.  Shame, but as long as I get my RGB Scart, I'll be ok!

Can anyone point me in the direction of some info that can help be determin what the pins are outputting.  Is it a case of measuring voltages and the like or do I need an oscilloscope or something.  Or is it just a case of trial and error  :D !?!

Cheers

Jim

Hello there is a way to make an rgb cable (With scart) for a pal (ITA) wii?

NFG

Can anyone confirm the RGB diagram?  Does it work on all Wii systems, or just the PAL ones?

antitime

In the RGB pinout posted, the pins for RGB correspond to pins 7, 9, and 11 on the pinout in the wiki. With 8-10 jumpered, they are Y, Pb, and Pr, and with 8-10 not jumpered, we have Y, unknown, and C...so no, this wouldn't work on American Wii consoles. It appears the earlier mentions of trading off SVideo for RGB like the GameCube were correct.

Scott_Cameron

QuoteIn the RGB pinout posted, the pins for RGB correspond to pins 7, 9, and 11 on the pinout in the wiki. With 8-10 jumpered, they are Y, Pb, and Pr, and with 8-10 not jumpered, we have Y, unknown, and C...so no, this wouldn't work on American Wii consoles. It appears the earlier mentions of trading off SVideo for RGB like the GameCube were correct.
Drat... well, that's sad news. How much of a picture drop is RGB to S-Video? I was thinking of importing a US Wii unit.

NFG

QuoteIn the RGB pinout posted, the pins for RGB correspond to pins 7, 9, and 11 on the pinout in the wiki. With 8-10 jumpered, they are Y, Pb, and Pr, and with 8-10 not jumpered, we have Y, unknown, and C...so no, this wouldn't work on American Wii consoles.
Duh, should have followed my own advice and checked first.  In my defense I'd just woken up Monday morning, so...  Not at my best.  =)

Thanks antitime.

Unfortunately, I think it means it won't be possible to output VGA (480p in RGB), because 480p is available in bios only when pins 8-10 are connected, and RGB when 8-10 are not connected

beders

Just a quick idea:
I have an old RGB cable from my gamecube.
With a little bit manual modification, the cable could fit right into the Wii-side connector.

Does anyone know if the pinout is compatible?
Maybe there is an easy way to adapt this cable to the Wii

Thanks in advance,
Jochen

kendrick

Have a look at the two pinout pages, please:

http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav

Different number of pins, differently-sized pins, and a completely different pinout numbering. No possible compatibility here.

-KKC

QuoteHave a look at the two pinout pages, please:

http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav

Different number of pins, differently-sized pins, and a completely different pinout numbering. No possible compatibility here.

-KKC
You didn't read the forum and the wiki correctly. Of course they are different, Wii has a different connector than the previous Nintendo systems.

Guest_Moosmann

Have the NTSC Wii the same Video Encoder Chip like the PAL Wii (Number designation) ? Maybe its is possible to get RGB on a NTSC Wii like the Gamecube YUV-Cable Mod ...

Bye Markus

Scorpius

Indeed, this pinout was discovered by me and I can confirm this as working. I looked at RGB pinout of gamecube and tried to figure wii's rgb pinout. With some testing I found it. And yes, sins R, G and B are in the same place as Y, Pb, Pr (with mode selected), I doubt that NTSC wii has RGB pinout at all. But then again, who cares? I mean, S-video is almost as good as RGB and you cannot tell the difference in normal TV's. Besides, if you have good display or psojector, you should always use Component for progressive scan.

kendrick

QuoteYou didn't read the forum and the wiki correctly. Of course they are different, Wii has a different connector than the previous Nintendo systems.
You responding to me or to Beders? I was responding to his post asking if the Gamecube RGB cable could be used on the Wii, which it can't. The Gamecube uses the same basic A/V port as the Super Nintendo and the N64 before it, which is a completely different port from the Wii. That was the point I was making by providing the two links.

-KKC

MasamuneX

Just incase any of you still want to pick up a standard A/V cable to depin for a DIY component cable please be aware that there are two different Wii standard A/V Composite connectors. The connectors and their pins are physically different thus making them incompatible with each other. So before you snatch one up off of Ebay make sure you know what you are getting before you purchase.