32x PAL/NTSC & 50/60Hz Mod possible?

Started by ALeXiS, November 11, 2006, 08:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALeXiS

Hi there!
I found something interesting on eBay: Modded 32x

Is there any Tutorial how to perform this Mod? I really wanna try it for myself.

blackevilweredragon

don't know, but i would LOVE to know..

I have been trying to find this mod forever...

ALeXiS

So it's a common known mod but noone knows how to do it?
I really can't belive this. Hope someone here will tell us :)

blackevilweredragon

well no, it's not comon at all, no one knows how to do it, because techincally it doesn't exist..

But after seeing it, I want to know..  because when my Genesis is in 50Hz, my american 32X outputs "NTSC-50", which my HDTV can't do (my HDTV only supports NTSC-60 and PAL-50)..

blackevilweredragon

found it for you ;)  its translated..  it says it's an NTSC STAKE switch..  the trasnlation stinks..  STAKE is supposed to mean PAL..

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...fari%26rls%3Den

Endymion

I sure would have thought that this would have been controlled by the jumpers in the Genesis/MD and not the 32X. When I have my Genesis set to JP, I get different game titles at times, along with a "Super 32X!" screen which was the Japanese marketing term for the unit over there. Can't you just set your Genesis for 60Hz?

blackevilweredragon

QuoteI sure would have thought that this would have been controlled by the jumpers in the Genesis/MD and not the 32X. When I have my Genesis set to JP, I get different game titles at times, along with a "Super 32X!" screen which was the Japanese marketing term for the unit over there. Can't you just set your Genesis for 60Hz?
doesn't work that way..  remember:  the 32X has an overlay circuit..  it also must MATCH that of the Genesis otherwise at boot you get a blank screen, or if it's switch IN-GAME, you get misplaced objects...

But, I tried this mod, so I could play the PAL version of Chaotix, and the picture sucks..  It's black and whiteish, and has barely blue and yellow color "stripes"..  and my TV supports NTSC 60 and PAL 50..

ALeXiS

Hey thanks!
It's a really easy to do mod, as I can see. Great!

@blackevilweredragon: Maybe you need a RGB Cable? I mean, the MD1 outputs a bad picture, too after modification when you don't own a RGB Cable.

blackevilweredragon

that's what im thinking..  i have the cable at another house, im gonna pick it up...  (i got a SoG cable made just for my HDTV)

ALeXiS

Seems like that a lot of todays HDTVs putting out poor quality on old consoles.
i already heard from other sources that they got problems with MD and HDTV.
sounds plausibly: no manufacturer of new hdtvs is caring about some freaks who wanna play with 80ies hardware on nowadays excellent looking tvs :)

Endymion

Quoteand my TV supports NTSC 60 and PAL 50..
You mean it can't take PAL60? Gotcha.

Oh yeah and RGB for the win, for sure. (I really need to mod all of my units to VGA/D-sub.)

Skullmonkey

But, I tried this mod, so I could play the PAL version of Chaotix, and the picture sucks..  It's black and whiteish, and has barely blue and yellow color "stripes"..  and my TV supports NTSC 60 and PAL 50..
Hey there blackevilweredragon, I just did the simplified version of this mod only 3 or 4 weeks ago, and I can confirm it works 100%.  In fact to get a black an white output would actually be a problem.

The 32X has it's own colour crystal in it, meaning that you should get colour on it no matter the output used, eg:

I have AUS PAL MD1 and MCD1 and 32X.  If I switch a MD cart to NTSC (via 50/60HZ) then I only get black and white and blurry output on RF, Composite and SVid, (I can't use RGB, no tv's in the house that have the input).  Solution is just put a plain unmodded 32x on top, and play any NTSC game and I then get perfect colour and picture on ALL outputs.

To follow up, the mod I did (with my above restrictions in mind), is the PAL/NTSC switch on the 32X and added a standard Composite out connector, (just took it from right near the onboard output header).  

Now I can get perfect colour/sound all regions MD/Genesis/32X.

Last two mods to finalise this will be:

1) Add CXA1645 internal to the 32x, to give it a nice S-Video output from a standard connector.
2) Need to find somewhere to get the MCD multibios, and that will give all the compatibility that I need.

Hope that helps anyone else who was put off from doing this incase they were waiting on getting RGB out before they tried it.

Cheers

blackevilweredragon

i wouldn't be able to ad another 32X..  finding one here in my area is unbelievable..  let along cheap...