All forums now moderated

Started by NFG, November 08, 2006, 09:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

I have enabled moderation for all forums, due to a rapid, shocking increase in dumbass spam.

All members and guests will now be subject to a long, annoying wait before their post appears to the rest of the world.

BUT!

This is only for new users.  After you reach a post-count of 6, you'll be bumped up to a new group and your posts will no longer be moderated.

I hate to do it, but I'm tired of deleting three of four posts.

If you have any trouble with the new system, let me know.

Note: It seems like it doesn't check current post counts, it may require six MORE posts to be upgraded.  Sorry for the hassle.

NFG

UPDATE!

Everyone who posts should find they're upgraded to non-moderated status after their second post!  

Turns out I hate moderating, so I want you guys out of the mod hole ASAP.  Post twice and be rewarded.  =)

kendrick

I want to add a couple of guidelines now that we're under comprehensive moderation:

* Double posts will be processed appropriately and automatically. No need to notify me or Lawrence, and no need to worry about redundant content.
* Approval for new posts and new replies may take up to 24 hours. Please do not send me and Lawrence private messages asking for expedient approval, special treatment or small animals.
* Moderated content will be procesed in the order that it is entered. This may screw up the conversational method of posting that we have otherwise enjoyed. Please be forgiving if it turns out that there are three or four posts in a row that conflict, or that give the same answer to a question.
* IP address monitoring tools are in use. Although it is unlikely, it is possible for all posts from a specific IP address to be wiped out without warning if it turns out to be the origin point of a lot of spam. Therefore, you are responsible for making sure that the machine from which you post is secure and free of spyware and malware.

To help out new members, we may elect to add a sticky post at the top of every forum reminding everyone about moderation in effect. Please contact me via PM if you have any questions or concerns.

-KKC

kendrick

As a reminder, some items from previous posts and discussion related to rules of conduct on GamesX forums:

* This board is operated by an individual, and not any game company or publishing company. No representation is intended, and therefore no service is offered. In other words, all content and ability to post is subject to Lawrence's personal preference. That's not fair or democratic, and it's not intended to be.
* No warranty is stated or implied on any of the modification projects or techniques described herein. All work is done at your own risk, no information is subject to guarantee. If you do something and you break something you own, nobody who posts at GamesX can be held responsible.
* Please use standard American or European English as best as you are able. Posts in other languages are not prohibited, but requests for help in any language other than English may go unanswered. Use of slang or abbreviations is also not prohibited, but is actively discouraged. Please spell out technical terms, use complete sentences and break your text into logical paragraphs as appropriate.
* New users are encouraged to search previous posts for answers to their questions, and to read GamesX and AtariLabs content for information pertaining to basic electronics and basic video signal operation.

On that last note, I apologize as the AtariLabs.com domain name is subject to renewal and so some of the primer content isn't available right now. Someone will post a new topic to let you know when it's back up, or if that content becomes available in another location.

-KKC

kendrick

Atarilabs.com is now back in operation. Thanks for your patience. The Video and RGB primer pages can be found at this domain, as well as several informational pages with other content related to basic electronics as it relates to video games. Please feel free to browse this content and to direct others to view it at this time.

-KKC

kendrick

New moderation rule in effect: newly registered users may find their first and/or second post deleted if there's no useful content in it. By this, I mean a post that says only "I agree" or "Cool site!" won't be approved just to raise the number of posts you need to get out of moderation status. If you want to post, make sure you're asking a question or contributing information. If you feel your post is being unfairly deleted, PM me using the forum messaging system. That's all.

-KKC

kendrick

Another moderation policy goes into effect... now! Moderators should be addressed using the Private Message (PM) system. Send a PM to me or to Lawrence if you have a specific question, have something you want to test, or have an issue that needs our attention here on the GamesX forum.

A popular spamming technique that we're presently experiencing is for a new post to have some kind of little note for the moderators indicating that it's okay to approve the message. This is not how you should get in touch with us. So that there's no ambiguity, let me state here and now that the policy is for these types of new posts to be deleted. There's no favoritism or special consideration going on, so new users consider yourselves notified.

-KKC

kendrick

A reminder, everybody. Your ability to post is based on the number of posts you have made since moderation took effect. Therefore, if your last post was before November 2006, your next post will require moderator approval before being viewable. Approval is automatic only after your second approved post. Please have patience if you fit into this category, and do not attempt to post the same content eleven or twelve times hoping to get our attention.

-KKC

kendrick

New rule. It's not necessary to introduce yourself in a separate post. You'll notice there's no forum here dedicated to that purpose. Your first post should have substantive content, either in the form of a question or a response. Introductory posts will be deleted more often than not, because that's one method spam bots use to get past the moderation limit.

The best way for us to get to know you is by your contribution. Thanks for your understanding.

-KKC

kendrick

New moderation policy in effect as of right now.

We're all adults. Those of us that aren't adults are expected to act like adults. With those two facts in mind, there is no official policy against profanity on GamesX, and you may use it to express emotion or to modify as superlative whenever necessary. However, if you use profanity to harass, to offend or otherwise to express hostility, then expect your post to be deleted with prejudice.

"Fuck, yes!" is a perfectly acceptable way to express delight and surprise. "Fuck you" is not an appropriate way to express disagreement. My recommendation is that you reserve profanity for very rare or unusual circumstances. I ain't your momma, but I am your moderator, so consider yourself notified.

kendrick

Existing moderation policy reinforced in this post. Repeat topics may be deleted with prejudice and without warning. You may receive a private message that contains a link to the existing topic that contains your question, four answers, and a detailed year-long discussion on the topic.

Put another way, use the search function of the forum before you post any new topic. There's an even chance that someone may have asked your question before and received a useful response. That is all.

kendrick

Just a reminder, if you need administrative assistance with a feature or policy of the forum please send a message to the moderation staff. You can PM me or Lawrence directly, or you can use the handy button at the bottom of most forum pages. You do not have to put a message in your post requesting help, and in fact I would prefer you not do that so that our search and indexing data remains nice and clean. Thanks.