genesis 50/60Hz problem

Started by blackevilweredragon, October 03, 2006, 05:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I was given a european version of Sonic 3...  while I can play the game in 50Hz, I can't play it in 60Hz...

I read that you can easily switch a 60Hz game to 50Hz (after it's started, incase it has a region lockout), but I can't seem to do it in reverse (50Hz to 60Hz)..

what happens, is that the graphics get corrupted, slow, and tear...  the music also plays faster and sounds distorted in a way...

This happens on both model 1 and model 2 Genesis...

is there any trick I am not doing right?

Hojo_Norem

That's normal unfortunately.  The game adjusts it's timing on bootup so when you switch modes the timing scrwes up, Sonic 1 and 2 do this as well AFAIK.  Using a Sonic & Knuckles cart removes the protection on Sonic 3 so thats probably the best way around it.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

blackevilweredragon

QuoteThat's normal unfortunately.  The game adjusts it's timing on bootup so when you switch modes the timing scrwes up, Sonic 1 and 2 do this as well AFAIK.  Using a Sonic & Knuckles cart removes the protection on Sonic 3 so thats probably the best way around it.
I have a TV that can take NTSC-50, and since I have a 32X, I might just do that route...

blackevilweredragon

out of curiosity, is the code that sets the timing AFTER the region check, or before it?

if it's after it, maybe if I time pushing the reset button then switching it to 60Hz, maybe it might just work?

-martin-

QuoteThat's normal unfortunately.  The game adjusts it's timing on bootup so when you switch modes the timing scrwes up, Sonic 1 and 2 do this as well AFAIK.  Using a Sonic & Knuckles cart removes the protection on Sonic 3 so thats probably the best way around it.
Yeah the only stupid thing about 1 and 2 doing it is they still work if you switch before you put the game in. :P  

FM-77

All the PAL Sonic games are PAL-optimized. That is, they run at their correct speed in 50Hz, which makes them run FASTER than they should in 60. That can cause problems with the game.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteAll the PAL Sonic games are PAL-optimized. That is, they run at their correct speed in 50Hz, which makes them run FASTER than they should in 60. That can cause problems with the game.
Well on my Sonic 2 game, which has no lockout, if it's started in 50Hz, and switched to 60Hz, it has problems..  If it's started in 60Hz, it has no problems..  So there is a check somewhere..

And I think switching the switch fast enough may get it passed the lockout check, but before the frequency check..

-martin-

QuoteAll the PAL Sonic games are PAL-optimized. That is, they run at their correct speed in 50Hz, which makes them run FASTER than they should in 60. That can cause problems with the game.
Only if you switch after you boot on Sonic 1 and 2, if you boot them in 60Hz they run fine, trust me I live in the UK and have both Japanese and Pal copies of the games :rolleyes:

However there are many incarnations of Sonic 1 and I believe some glitch worse than others if switched after boot.

Oh and BTW - the first edition of Sonic 1 runs too slow in 50Hz.