News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Hot chips

Started by Hojo_Norem, September 21, 2006, 09:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hojo_Norem

Ive been tinkering around getting my Golfing Greats arcade pcb connected up and working.  It all seems to be working fine (except the odd minor gfx glitch).  There's quite a bit of 74 series logic on the board and some of it is running a little hot, however there are 4 ram chips (mcm2018an45) which are running nearly too hot to touch.  I'm just wondering if anybody here knows if that's normal.

At the moment I stuck a couple of small heatsinks on with some arctic silver but they still seem to be running very hot.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

NFG

In my experience no, RAM chips especially never get that warm, but I'm not familiar with the game.  If you're unable to find easy answers you could stick a thermometer on the chips, get a reading, and then check the chips' datasheet.

-martin-

Ram chips do get warm sometimes, although they tend to only get hot if they're overclocked or something.

You could always just slap heatsyncs on those puppies :D  

Hojo_Norem

Thanks for the tip. I decided to stick on a heatsink taken from a busted ZX Spectrum and fit it across all 4 chips using some thermal compound and a little epoxy to keep it in place.  Still gets quite hot but takes a lot longer to do so.  The board does seem to be quite a hot running one.  Like I mentioned earlier theres a lot of logic on the borad which gets rather hot also and theres a Z80 and a 68K which also get rather warm.  After a half hour or so theres that much heat coming from the board that you could almost mistake the board for a mini electric radiator. ^_^
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'