Cannot get an old ACE X68000 to work

Started by vidbuster, August 20, 2006, 03:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidbuster

Hello,

I have searched the entire web and this site to try to solve my problem but to no avail. Yes, I'm an extreme x68000 Noob.

Here's the model number = CZ-601C-GY

I'm in the States, bought this off Ebay a couple months back.  I've been looking for one for ages, so when one popped up, I snagged it.   :D

Here's the problem, I finally got an old Apple monitor cable and a VGA adapter to plug into my monitor.  Do I need some special cable?

Anyway, plugged into monitor, plug in power of x68000, click rear power button, but it gives me a clicking, sort of on/off power noise.  When I push the main power button on the front, the pulsing sound stops, but a soft piercing sound comes out of the system and no picture.   :(

Without any sort of manual, I have NO idea what I need to do get this to work, which way/when to put floppies in, what cables need to be connected, etc.

I can take it apart and take pics if needed, I'm desperate and afraid that I recieved a bunk system.  Any help will be soooooo apreciated, words cannot explain.

Computolio

The X68000 monitor pinout is nothing like the old-style Mac monitor pinout. You're going to have to wire up a custom cable.

Ok, so even though I've got a DB-15 pin running from the x68000 into a DB-15 to today's standard VGA out?

My only worry is that even if I get the cable, the system makes strange noises as I explained above.  Maybe, I'll post a video with audio to make it more clear.

Thanks so much  :D  

NFG

If you've got an original PSU in there then it's probably dead.  They're not reliable at all.

As for the connector, you're not telling us the whole story.  Just because the plug fits doesn't mean that it's got the right pinout.  Are the connectors you're using designed for the X68000?

vidbuster

Only received the keyboard/mouse with the computer.  

At first, since I noticed the "TV Control" shaped like my AES, PC Engine, MegaDrive AV out, I initially tried hooking it up to the tv with no avail.   Can this be done, or was this for something else?  Any place to find an english manual? :huh:

Went to Fry's, found a DB-15 cable that fit into the analog RGB out, then got a DB-15 to VGA adapter.  So from looking at the "about pinout links", I'm most likely using the wrong one even though it fits.  So if I'm not using x68000 branded connections, if you know a good place to find them let me know.  How difficult is it to make a cable if you've never done that before?

Furthermore, from my skimming of the gamesx.com site, I need to use an old school RGB monitor to receive the signal?  Impossible to use on a current LCD? or run on a NTSC TV?

Well, this is my setup, I'm assuming you do not need any other cables but for the monitor cable to make sure its working.

And the best I can do for a vid...if its busted, then I'll need to try to fix it before I even go to the cable process. Lawrence, I know you have a PSU repair site listed, so I'll refer to that if need be.

X68000 vid

If you really turn up the volume, you can hear the pulsating sound, that disappears when you push in the front power button.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond... :)

NFG

Your video adaptor is 99% guaranteed to be incompatible.  

Making a connector isn't too hard, but you will need to know how to solder and have a steady hand.

You don't need an oldschool RGB monitor, you need a display that accepts 15kHz RGB.  Doesn't matter if it's old or new; if your LCD TV has an RGB port and runs at 15kHz (most only do 31kHz) then you're good to go.

vidbuster

Well, at least I now have direction where I need to go.

Thanks  :D