Genesis controller problem

Started by rhubarb505, August 05, 2006, 01:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhubarb505

I recently (only today actually) pulled my old genesis out of my attic. I remember when I was quite young I really abused that genesis, and eventually I lost some of the controller's functionality.

So when I plugged it in today I found that the b and c buttons wouldnt work.

From what I see there aren't any problems, no broken traces or blown components. However I'm not very familiar with the system.

I figure the only thing I can do is take the controller ports out, see if they themselves are messed up somehow, and maybe splice the controller and solder directly to the mobo. Do you guys have any suggestions before I take this drastic step? Any ic's I should check for broken pins and such?

I believe I have a rev 2 genny, if that helps.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteI recently (only today actually) pulled my old genesis out of my attic. I remember when I was quite young I really abused that genesis, and eventually I lost some of the controller's functionality.

So when I plugged it in today I found that the b and c buttons wouldnt work.

From what I see there aren't any problems, no broken traces or blown components. However I'm not very familiar with the system.

I figure the only thing I can do is take the controller ports out, see if they themselves are messed up somehow, and maybe splice the controller and solder directly to the mobo. Do you guys have any suggestions before I take this drastic step? Any ic's I should check for broken pins and such?

I believe I have a rev 2 genny, if that helps.
I have a model 2 Genesis, and had a very similar problem..  Ended up it had a cold solder joint on the controller port..  Had a friend re-solder it, and my Genesis has been working great ever since (4 years ago)

rhubarb505

That could be it, but what confuses me is that I have the exact same problem for both ports. But I'll try it out anyways.

I'm hesitant to mention this, but I don't have any spare controllers to test. I know that this is an obvious first step but I recall buying several replacements just before I stopped playing several years ago, and none of them worked either.

NFG

There's a very good chance it's just faulty buttons in the pad.  In fact, if you get the same result in both ports, that's almost certainly the problem.  Try cleaning the contacts (rubbing vigorously with your finger should help, and you can try scuffing the PCB contacts gently with a screwdriver).

Buttons B and C use two different pins on the DB9.  If it was A and B, or C and Start we could surmise that one pin had failed or one wire had broken, since those pairs use the same pins.

If A works, but B doesn't, you can rule out broken pins or wires.  That leaves the pad itself.  Easy.

rhubarb505

Tried cleaning the contacts thouroughly. Helped my A button (was kind of finnicky)  but still no luck for the B and C buttons. Also checked the controller for broken traces and cold solders but nothing.

I still cant find my spare controllers, I guess the next step is ebay...

rhubarb505

NFG

QuoteNevermind, problem solved.
Please share your discovery with the class.  

rhubarb505

I'm not sure what I did. After I tried cleaning the contacts and it still didn't work, I opened it up and tried playing sor3 with just the pcb. Obviously I got weird results putting the buttons right on the pcb, but when I put the controller back together it was working just fine.

Its still pretty iffy, but going over the contacts again usually gives me good enough performance for a few hours of gameplay.