3DO controller problem

Started by hnnr7, August 04, 2006, 05:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnnr7

Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I bought a used 3DO some time ago, but the controllers are not working. (None of their buttons)

My problem is, I don't even know if my controllers are for 3DO.
they fit in my 3DO's 9 pin port, but they are not original pads.
they're 2 identical small pads that have a D-pad at left, START and MODE buttons in the middle and ABCD at right. And no triggers. The buttons are all blue and the pad is black.
Since both pads don't work, I guess those pads are made for another system or the main console is broken.
So my first question is if there has been made any console or multimedia player (like CDI) that has the same 9 pin port. And if luckily someone's definitely sure these buttons don't belong to a 3DO pad.

2ndly is there an easy way to test and identify if these pads are 1)working & 2)3DO controllers? I think plugging them into a PC serial port and monitoring them won't help much, because their pinouts are probably different. Actually I have done it using a serial port monitoring software but no signals.
If you have any good idea, please tell me.

My final question is, if i can confirm that my pads are intact and the main console is the root of my problem, what parts on the main board shall I replace and see if it turns out good?

kendrick

The button marked MODE clearly indicates that these are Sega Genesis controllers. 3DO controllers vary wildly since so many different manufacturers put out hardware, so you'll see Panasonic, Samsung, Logitech and and Interact brands. But they'll generally have the 3DO logo on them.

3DO controllers may be distinguished by their CD player markings. Like Sega Saturn controllers, the 3DO standard assigned play, stop, next-track, last-track, and search functions to the D-pad and start/select buttons. You will also see three-button and six-button varieties, with buttons marked A, B, C, L, R, and X. Most distinctive, 3DO controllers will have not only a cord with a plug, but a controller socket. Unlike other consoles with multiple contoller inputs, the 3DO required pads to be daisy chained off of each other. So most 3DO pads will have a 9-pin port that you can plug another pad into.

-KKC, the last 3DO user on earth. :)

hnnr7

Thanks for your confirmation. :)  So they gave me genesis controllers...
I never thought about it. It's not easy to tell for someone who doesn't own one.
(these pads don't look like normal genesis controllers at all)
Anyway, I think I have to buy another 3DO controller.