Where to i soder on av plugs for genesis 2 mod?

Started by frwew, August 02, 2006, 04:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frwew

I want to add av plugs to my genesis 2 but i am not sure what i solder them to i haved the pinouts but what do i from there  

kendrick

The appropriate thing to do is to follow the circuit board traces. From the pinouts, you should be able to determine where composite, audio, and RGB signals are sent. You'll notice that the A/V socket is soldered to the board where traces lead back to the RGB encoder. You can either run wires from the base of the socket, or from the encoder directly. These wires would feed the appropriate signal to the center contact of your RCA jack.

If you're not comfortable doing this, the probably you want to practice beforehand. This isn't the kind of mod you can do with tape and clips, so definitely be confident in your ability to solder before you proceed. Good luck.

-KKC, making mischief with chicken.

blackevilweredragon

I would also use a multimeter, it can be very helpfull...

i opened up the back but i can't find the contacts are they on the other side? this my first mod. I noticed numbers around the base of av out.

phiridan

The numbers you see on the board, (beneath the av-out socket) match the same ones on the pinout in the URL below.
You can solder directly to the pins on the bottom of the socket or follow what I did. I used desoldering braid on the socket and gently pulled it off with pliers. Then solder in some new wires to each of the RCA's.
Good Luck

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

blackevilweredragon

QuoteThe numbers you see on the board, (beneath the av-out socket) match the same ones on the pinout in the URL below.
You can solder directly to the pins on the bottom of the socket or follow what I did. I used desoldering braid on the socket and gently pulled it off with pliers. Then solder in some new wires to each of the RCA's.
Good Luck

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm
You sure?  It says "Note! The numbering sequence on this diagram is NOT the proper numbering, and won't match the numbers on your connector." on the URL..

NFG

Yeah, those numbers won't work.  Try these:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:neogeoav

The pinout and connector is almost the same (two pins are slightly off-center), and it uses the correct numbering scheme.

phiridan

I'm sorry if I gave false info. About 9 months ago, I recieved a Sega 32X with no cables. I removed the factory AV sockets from the 32X and my Genesis 2, and replaced them with DB9 sockets. Both of the AV outs are now female DB9's and I now have a short male cable that is permanantly connected to the 32X. It plugs directly in the  new Genesis AV out. My RCA cables (LR & V) have a male DB9. The benifits of all of this is  I will never lose the Gen - 32x cable, the AV cable can still be used with or without the 32x and it is all stereo.

You can still pry off the factory socket like I said before, take the shielding  off, and see where the outside pins corrospond with the numbers on the board abd solder the new wires to those.  

NFG

QuoteI'm sorry if I gave false info.
It's not your fault, it's mine.  I should really fix that page!

i thought the neo geo used the genesis 1 pinout and i have a 2 are you sure this will work? and is there a way other than removing the av connector?

NFG

I should pay more attention.  No, of course the Gen1 connector is nothing like the Gen2.  =/