If I were to make a portable NES...

Started by kattanFAN, August 02, 2006, 04:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattanFAN

I was just on eBay and I found these 3 things. They are all unofficial top-loading NES consoles.
  • Super FC Top Loader, although the eBay auction called it a BK Top Loader in the header
  • Family Boy, which I believe also includes 8 built-in games
  • Yobo-brand toploading NES clone, and I think that it plays Famicom games as well
Now, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, maybe they can help me. I know that they have those Power Player things, but I have some reservations. Like the degree of difficulty involved to wire the 72pin cartridge connector to the thing. And I keep on hearing this and hearing that, and all that I hear usually contradicts already-made statements.

cool idea

go to www.benheck.com. the forums there are filled with stuff about portables and as for adding a 72 pin connector it depends how good you are with the iron. and you might have to move the one on any of those 3 things. I would sugest using a nes on a chip like the one in ben's most recent portable so it can be nice and small.

NFG

QuoteAnd I keep on hearing this and hearing that, and all that I hear usually contradicts already-made statements.
What on earth does this mean?  If you're going to ask for advice or clarification, maybe you should be a little more specific about what you're trying to clarify?

Quotego to www.benheck.com.
As for you, my unregistered friend, maybe you could learn how to make a link, and while you're at it, link to the specific page instead of giving vague hints about the direction.  That's barely better than "try google."

kattanFAN

QuoteAnd I keep on hearing this and hearing that, and all that I hear usually contradicts already-made statements.
What on earth does this mean?  If you're going to ask for advice or clarification, maybe you should be a little more specific about what you're trying to clarify?
Like how the Power Player can play NES games out of the box and some people say no. And also how the Power Player has perfect compatibility and some say they don't.

cool idea

heres a link to the website on the sidebar you can look at all the nes portables he built with a noac
Benheck.com

kattanFAN

Quoteheres a link to the website on the sidebar you can look at all the nes portables he built with a noac
Benheck.com
I know about Ben Heckendorn's site. That's how I knew that it was possible. Also, how come a lot of the websites that sell them are all basically the same site. Do they accept money orders? They don't say whether or not they do?

kendrick

KF, the Power Player device is unlicensed and sold under a variety of different names. The reason you have read differing reports on cartridge compatibility is because the hardware inside is not consistent. Some may have been manufactured with recycled Famicom and NES components, and some may be NES-on-a-chip clone devices. Even two Power Player devices whose circuit boards look otherwise identical may have completely different ROM images if software revisions occurred in the interval between their manufacturing date. People with different hardware will necessarily report different results.

To achieve compatibility will take trial and error, and it's likely you'll have a problem with your first attempt. This is an unavoidable part of the learning process. No amount of documentation or hearsay will make up for a lack of experience.

-KKC, who has a pile of brroken hardware to prove his point.

ido8bit

While I am not familiar with these names most of these Famiclones are based on similar NES-on-a-chip hardware.   Some have cartridge slots, some do not.  Those that do have cartridge slots have 60 pin Famicon slots.  Some places sell 60 to 72 pin adapters that allow you to plug in NES carts.  Though if you are planning to build this into a portable device replacing the connector would be worth the effort.  It's time consuming, but it's not difficult assuming you can follow a wiring diagram and solder.  

Compatibility is good, but they aren't perfect.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any games that wouldn't run at all, but I have noticed minor graphics glitches on many games (usually as the screen scrolls).  

kattanFAN

Check this out

It's a small collection, a museum of sorts, dedicated to pirated NES things. Everything from Kart Fighter and an unlicensed NES version of Boogerman to a smattering of Famiclones.

Gunnex

Well....There is a famiclone that is sold in most import game and anime stores.  It's made by yobo and has a 72pin cart connector and uses USA controllers.  I have one and it works well.  It's also very easy to replace parts for a handheld cuz most of it is useless.

kattanFAN

QuoteWell....There is a famiclone that is sold in most import game and anime stores.  It's made by yobo and has a 72pin cart connector and uses USA controllers.  I have one and it works well.  It's also very easy to replace parts for a handheld cuz most of it is useless.
Is this it? It is made by Yobo, who made the Expansion Pak for my N64, as well as the two controllers I got off of eBay (where I also got the EP).

Also, I think that I saw this same Famiclone on eBay.

What is this system like? How well does this work? How small is the actual motherboard? Do you have a picture of the inside? If not, where can I get it? I don't mind going onto Google, which I might do after posting this anyway.