homemade gamecube rgb cable problems

Started by radorn, June 01, 2006, 04:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radorn

Hi:

I just bought my first soldering iron and after testing a bit with old pcbs, I decided to make a gamecube rgb cable out of some components I have laying arround.

I'm using a PAL cube, so I'm not using the component cable method, but the av multiout one.

I followed the pinouts of both nintendo's av multiout and scart and all seems to work right, except for I get a very distorted image.

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/4114/rgb017ak.jpg

The image has the right colors, and it is evident it is RGB for it lacks dotcrawl and color bleed, but well, as you can see, it is not playable this way.

What could be causing this? anyone know how can I solve it?

Thanks

Have you wired the blanking signal?

radorn

I thought of that, but then again I couldn't find anything like that in the pinouts. And I though that TV analog RGB normally uses sync-on-green so...

I may have mistook something. Wich are the sync pins?

EDIT: I'm reviewing the nintendo multiout wiki page and have noticed that thing about the capacitors.

I assumed this would cause a whitened, washed out picture. But, could it also cause this rolling picture?

DarthCloud

It is not sync on green. With rgb you use composite video as sync.

FM-77

You don't need the capacitors. I'm using a SNES RGB cable (no capacitors) on a Game Cube and it works great.

radorn

QuoteIt is not sync on green. With rgb you use composite video as sync.
Ohhh, great!!

I started to guess that could work somewhat because of the lack of independent composite sync in PAL machines in exchange for the switching signal, but I was not completely confident I wouldn't break something so I prefered to have someone that knew better to tell me.

So, I'll try that in a minute. Thank you!! :)  

radorn

It worked, thanks. ;)
Tough the picture is a bit blurry... But I'll blame the lack of shielding and the wires being taken from a broken IDE round cable for that issue xDD