News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

C64 power supply

Started by blackevilweredragon, May 28, 2006, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

I got a C64 without a power supply today.  (well, the seller on ebay failed to mention it didn't include a supply)..

so, here's a good mod..  how can I hook up an AT PC power supply to this thing?  I tried tapping internally on the voltage regulator for the 12v and the 5v output, but got me nothing.  no red power LED, and no picture on the monitor.  however, when the PSU was shutting down, a blue and green pattern flew across the monitors screen...  so SOMETHING must be working..

any ideas?  this is my C64's board..  under the flash, is exposing "Rev C"..

Hojo_Norem

AFAIK the C64 requires 5V DC and 9V AC to run properly.  Also if you are not going to use a original C= PSU then for God's sake get a DIN (cant remember how many pins) plug and wire your PC PSU to that and plug it into the C64.  The 64 can be very sensitive to out of spec voltage and I have heard many a taly of 64s being killed by incorrect voltages.  Heck, they can be that sensitive that I blew the fuse on my just by putting my finger over one of the joystick ports.

One point, the 9V AC is used to run among other things the machines TOD clock which is dependent on the AC.  I have heard that in general C64 games don't use the TOD and you can get away with feeding your 64 with 9VDC.

Oh and the ratings on my C64 PSU are 5VDC at 1.7A and 9VAC at 1A.

It might be easier just to get a C64 PSU off eBay.  If you do only bid on PSUs that have a very clear description or a decent photo.  Why?  If its black, put it back. If its grey, take it and pay. ^_^
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

blackevilweredragon

QuoteAFAIK the C64 requires 5V DC and 9V AC to run properly.  Also if you are not going to use a original C= PSU then for God's sake get a DIN (cant remember how many pins) plug and wire your PC PSU to that and plug it into the C64.  The 64 can be very sensitive to out of spec voltage and I have heard many a taly of 64s being killed by incorrect voltages.  Heck, they can be that sensitive that I blew the fuse on my just by putting my finger over one of the joystick ports.

One point, the 9V AC is used to run among other things the machines TOD clock which is dependent on the AC.  I have heard that in general C64 games don't use the TOD and you can get away with feeding your 64 with 9VDC.

Oh and the ratings on my C64 PSU are 5VDC at 1.7A and 9VAC at 1A.

It might be easier just to get a C64 PSU off eBay.  If you do only bid on PSUs that have a very clear description or a decent photo.  Why?  If its black, put it back. If its grey, take it and pay. ^_^
I was thinking about buying this, but it has a 555, which is for 50Hz.  I am in america, and need 60Hz..

http://www.volny.cz/dundera/stuff.html

Hojo_Norem

QuoteI was thinking about buying this, but it has a 555, which is for 50Hz.  I am in america, and need 60Hz..

You could email them and ask if they could make you a modified version that outputs 60Hz.  Im no electronics expert by any standard, but surely that schmatic could be modified to output 60Hz.

OTOH, if you are not planning on running anything like a SCPU or RAMLink it may be cheaper just to try and find a original PSU.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteI was thinking about buying this, but it has a 555, which is for 50Hz.  I am in america, and need 60Hz..

You could email them and ask if they could make you a modified version that outputs 60Hz.  Im no electronics expert by any standard, but surely that schmatic could be modified to output 60Hz.

OTOH, if you are not planning on running anything like a SCPU or RAMLink it may be cheaper just to try and find a original PSU.
well, the original PSU that goes with the C64 tends to overheat ALOT..  and there is a particular failure with them that worries me.  when they get hot, quite a few of them will over-voltage..  for example, the 5v line can go as high as 10v!!  that's twice as much to fry the chips in my C64...

Hojo_Norem

Quotewell, the original PSU that goes with the C64 tends to overheat ALOT..  and there is a particular failure with them that worries me.  when they get hot, quite a few of them will over-voltage..  for example, the 5v line can go as high as 10v!!  that's twice as much to fry the chips in my C64...
Yes I have head stories of the infamous 'black brick' psu failing and killing machines, but as I mentioned earlier before, get one of the grey brick or even better the grey brick with a wedge in it (can't describe it any better).  My C64's PSU is the grey brick type and so far it hasn't claimed a single 64's life and I have had my 64 since 1991.

blackevilweredragon

Ok, I am going to get a real PSU, my father bought one in good working condition on eBay..

However, it's din connector has 4 pins on it..  How is this so, and why does the seller say it will work on a C64 with a 7 pin socket?

Hojo_Norem

QuoteOk, I am going to get a real PSU, my father bought one in good working condition on eBay..

However, it's din connector has 4 pins on it..  How is this so, and why does the seller say it will work on a C64 with a 7 pin socket?
Take a ganders at C64 power pinout on GamesX hardwarebook.  You will see that of the 7 pins, 3 supply current, 3 are sheild grounds and 1 is not connected.  I can't realy see why that can't be reduced down to 4 pins... however, it is possible your father has got you a C= disk drive PSU by accident.  That PSU is not compatible with the C64.  It has a four pin din with the pins arranged roughly like a 4 pin s-video.  The 64's power connecter, even with the uneeded pins cut off would still have a pin in the centre.

blackevilweredragon

Quotewell, the original PSU that goes with the C64 tends to overheat ALOT..  and there is a particular failure with them that worries me.  when they get hot, quite a few of them will over-voltage..  for example, the 5v line can go as high as 10v!!  that's twice as much to fry the chips in my C64...
Yes I have head stories of the infamous 'black brick' psu failing and killing machines, but as I mentioned earlier before, get one of the grey brick or even better the grey brick with a wedge in it (can't describe it any better).  My C64's PSU is the grey brick type and so far it hasn't claimed a single 64's life and I have had my 64 since 1991.
I don't really know what you mean by with a wedge in it..

my father bought me a Commodore 64 power supply, one that is grey..  he bought me this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

blackevilweredragon

QuoteOk, I am going to get a real PSU, my father bought one in good working condition on eBay..

However, it's din connector has 4 pins on it..  How is this so, and why does the seller say it will work on a C64 with a 7 pin socket?
Take a ganders at C64 power pinout on GamesX hardwarebook.  You will see that of the 7 pins, 3 supply current, 3 are sheild grounds and 1 is not connected.  I can't realy see why that can't be reduced down to 4 pins... however, it is possible your father has got you a C= disk drive PSU by accident.  That PSU is not compatible with the C64.  It has a four pin din with the pins arranged roughly like a 4 pin s-video.  The 64's power connecter, even with the uneeded pins cut off would still have a pin in the centre.
You see, that pinout you link me to, is not what my connector looks like..  My C64 has a port that looks like this:

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/c64power.html

Hojo_Norem

QuoteYou see, that pinout you link me to, is not what my connector looks like..  My C64 has a port that looks like this:

Whoops!  My bad.  I just checked my 64's PSU and it indeed has the connector that you link to.  As for the eBay auction you have posted, it seems you have got exactly the same style PSU I have... which is strange as my PSU has 7 pins.  As for the 'wedge' PSU, after seeing a normal 64 PSU you will know a wedge style one when you see it.  I have a wedge PSU, but no way of getting a picture of it and google images fails me in this respect also.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteYou see, that pinout you link me to, is not what my connector looks like..  My C64 has a port that looks like this:

Whoops!  My bad.  I just checked my 64's PSU and it indeed has the connector that you link to.  As for the eBay auction you have posted, it seems you have got exactly the same style PSU I have... which is strange as my PSU has 7 pins.  As for the 'wedge' PSU, after seeing a normal 64 PSU you will know a wedge style one when you see it.  I have a wedge PSU, but no way of getting a picture of it and google images fails me in this respect also.
hmm, well, if i get it, and the connector don't fit, i can always go to the local electronics store, get a 7 pin DIN connector, and cut off the connector on the C64 power supply, and solder the new one on...

im sure it will fit though..  i just did s a google search, and on a google group, i saw that someone else has a C64 power supply that has a 7 pin DIN Connector, but the pins that were not used, were not even there...  weird..

now i can't wait for the supply to arive..  i just hope my C64 even works..

Hojo_Norem

hmm, well, if i get it, and the connector don't fit, i can always go to the local electronics store, get a 7 pin DIN connector, and cut off the connector on the C64 power supply, and solder the new one on...

im sure it will fit though..  i just did s a google search, and on a google group, i saw that someone else has a C64 power supply that has a 7 pin DIN Connector, but the pins that were not used, were not even there...  weird..

now i can't wait for the supply to arive..  i just hope my C64 even works..
Before you do that check the voltages on the PSU.  If it outputs +5Vdc and 9Vac both at 1A or over then you have a C64 PSU.  If the voltages are +5Vdc and +12Vdc the you have got a C= disk drive PSU.  This woudn't work even if you cut off the connecter and replace it with a 7 pin one as not only is one of the voltages incompatible, but the PSU dosen't supply enought current.

Don't worry, if you PSU turns out to be a C64 PSU then most likely it will fit.  I have C64s ranging from (what I think) the first production version right up to the 'wedge' era versions and they all have the same PSU connector.

blackevilweredragon

the PSU arrived today..

It works, it was a 4-pin, but those pins were arranged in such a way, that it does use the needed pins..

Hojo_Norem

Quotethe PSU arrived today..

It works, it was a 4-pin, but those pins were arranged in such a way, that it does use the needed pins..
THats good to hear.  Now all you have to do is get yourself a disk drive for it (preferably a 1541C or 1541-II), a XE1541 cable and download yourself a NTSC fixed copy of "Mayhem in Monsterland".  One of the 64's last truly great games...

...not counting some of the new games made recently or that are currently in the works. ^_^

blackevilweredragon

Quotethe PSU arrived today..

THats good to hear.  Now all you have to do is get yourself a disk drive for it (preferably a 1541C or 1541-II), a XE1541 cable and download yourself a NTSC fixed copy of "Mayhem in Monsterland".  One of the 64's last truly great games...

...not counting some of the new games made recently or that are currently in the works. ^_^
heh, there's actually a store that is willing to get me some C64 carts that they have at their other location...

btw, i just did a test program from the C64 user guide, a musical scale, and notice that after it ran, there's a hissing in the audio..  is this normal for the SID chip to do?

blackevilweredragon

well, it's all over, already..

the PSU started pumping 6v into the 5v line...  unbelievable, first took 1 month to finally get it, then the PSU kills it...

argh!!  im stressed AND pissed right now...

blackevilweredragon

i've let the supply cool down, and now the multimeter shows 7v!!

Hojo_Norem

Quotei've let the supply cool down, and now the multimeter shows 7v!!
are you testing the PSU with a load? best take a look at http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/pstester.txt

blackevilweredragon

Quotei've let the supply cool down, and now the multimeter shows 7v!!
are you testing the PSU with a load? best take a look at http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/pstester.txt
that's for the black brick..  the one i have is supposed to have an internal regulator, which obviously it's failed..

i also used a multimeter to measure the voltage going to the pins on the RAM, and they also show 7v...

obviously the RAM has now been fried...

im still trying to get over this..  i was so happy to use it, then, BOOM, it dies......so instantly..     :angry:  

Hojo_Norem

According to that article the 'black bricks' have regulators but the main cause of failure is usually due to that regulator overheating, dieing and overvolting the +5v line.  The only thing I can suggest now is to get another C64, preferably a C64C with PSU included and then build the circuit here: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/saver.txt

But before doing that perform last rites on your 64 and then... completely and utterly cannibalise it by removing all the large ICs, including the soldered ones if you can... unless you are willing to try to replace your 64's RAM chips.

Stick at it, try flea markets and charity shops... I hear c64s are common in such places in the US (assuming thats where you are).  Not so over here, usually I'm lucky to find the odd tape game.

PS.  If you do decide to gut your 64, I'l buy the SID chip of you. ^_^ (its the one labeled 'MOS 6581 CBM')

PPS.  It truly is worth removing the ICs.  For example on your image the two ICs in the top-left corner are responsible for the I/O and some timing and can be killed by static discharges easily and these chips wil work in any c64.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteAccording to that article the 'black bricks' have regulators but the main cause of failure is usually due to that regulator overheating, dieing and overvolting the +5v line.  The only thing I can suggest now is to get another C64, preferably a C64C with PSU included and then build the circuit here: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/saver.txt

But before doing that perform last rites on your 64 and then... completely and utterly cannibalise it by removing all the large ICs, including the soldered ones if you can... unless you are willing to try to replace your 64's RAM chips.

Stick at it, try flea markets and charity shops... I hear c64s are common in such places in the US (assuming thats where you are).  Not so over here, usually I'm lucky to find the odd tape game.

PS.  If you do decide to gut your 64, I'l buy the SID chip of you. ^_^ (its the one labeled 'MOS 6581 CBM')

PPS.  It truly is worth removing the ICs.  For example on your image the two ICs in the top-left corner are responsible for the I/O and some timing and can be killed by static discharges easily and these chips wil work in any c64.
I was actually thinking about getting a HardSID PCI card, and use my SID chip, if it even still works..  (multimeter said it was getting 14.8v, instead of the 12v it should have gotten)..

my battery on my laptop is dead 0%  WOW, i gotta go, be back later..

blackevilweredragon

I have an interesting update here to tell..

Apparently, the PSU was NOT overcharging..  my multimeter failed, and was showing an electrical source as TOO much..  for example, I used a PCs 12v supply, which was a nice and perfect 12v (the BIOS said so), but the multimeter was showing it up as 15v...

so I borrowed my fathers heavy duty supply, and guess what, the 5v line from the C64 PSU was a steady 5.3v (which I assume is safe)...

though, this doesn't answer as to why the C64 quit working in the first place..

Hojo_Norem

QuoteI have an interesting update here to tell..

Apparently, the PSU was NOT overcharging..  my multimeter failed, and was showing an electrical source as TOO much..  for example, I used a PCs 12v supply, which was a nice and perfect 12v (the BIOS said so), but the multimeter was showing it up as 15v...

so I borrowed my fathers heavy duty supply, and guess what, the 5v line from the C64 PSU was a steady 5.3v (which I assume is safe)...

There might be hope.  In this regard all I can say is check the fuse, but however I can direct you somewhere of more intrest: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html

blackevilweredragon

QuoteI have an interesting update here to tell..

Apparently, the PSU was NOT overcharging..  my multimeter failed, and was showing an electrical source as TOO much..  for example, I used a PCs 12v supply, which was a nice and perfect 12v (the BIOS said so), but the multimeter was showing it up as 15v...

There might be hope.  In this regard all I can say is check the fuse, but however I can direct you somewhere of more intrest: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html
I actually contacted him  :P

We pretty much figured it out as the PLA chip has failed.