1080i and a computer monitor?

Started by LastGen, May 24, 2006, 04:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please provide a link to instructions for building a VGA cable for the PS2!

Here: http://ps2vga.modchip.sm/

Built this months ago and since then enhanced with a couple of lm1881 so I can use it for lo res and vga on a multisynch arcade monitor without SOG.
All the games that have a progressive scan option (Tekken 4,5, Soul caliber 2,3, various SNK) work perfectly in vga with that cable, GT4 will also work in higher resolutions too (but your monitor has to support them).

Blaze software is just an hack, you can't pretend to have perfect results, few games are ~okay most are not.
A modchip with a forced VGA mode option is better (almost everything works) but does use a strange frequency (>31KHz) and has a large overscan area, good if you use at least a SVGA monitor and you can zoom in the center area.
You just need a cheap cable: an hacked vga cable and a 5Euro Ps Scart cable are perfect, no need to throw away money on overpriced cables or upscan converters (if the game has a PS option).

LastGen

Please provide a link to instructions for building a VGA cable for the PS2!

Here: http://ps2vga.modchip.sm/

Built this months ago and since then enhanced with a couple of lm1881 so I can use it for lo res and vga on a multisynch arcade monitor without SOG.
All the games that have a progressive scan option (Tekken 4,5, Soul caliber 2,3, various SNK) work perfectly in vga with that cable, GT4 will also work in higher resolutions too (but your monitor has to support them).

Blaze software is just an hack, you can't pretend to have perfect results, few games are ~okay most are not.
A modchip with a forced VGA mode option is better (almost everything works) but does use a strange frequency (>31KHz) and has a large overscan area, good if you use at least a SVGA monitor and you can zoom in the center area.
You just need a cheap cable: an hacked vga cable and a 5Euro Ps Scart cable are perfect, no need to throw away money on overpriced cables or upscan converters (if the game has a PS option).
Thanks guest, I have also found another option that seems easy for 480p games.

RCA to VGA(SoG) Adapter and 3 female to female RCA plugs should work just fine connected to a PS2 component cable.

Not as elegant a solution as a standard PS2 VGA cable, but a good one anyway.

-Martin-

Quote^^  I triple dog dare you to go onto AVScienceForum, and tell them cable quality don't make a difference.

Then I will sit back and watch as they not only tell you, but prove you in every possible way, that you are wrong.

Oh, and how does one make a cable incorrectly?  I mean, it's a simple connection really, pin to pin, ground to ground..  How would any company, even the cheap crap, mess that up?  Oh, right, avoid the fact that the quality of the cable DOES matter.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgb...ome/cables.html

Do read up.  It states a highly important fact on how cable quality is made.  Conductor, Connector, and Shielding.  I don't know what engineers you are seeing, but might I recommend you leave them while you still can.
Listen mate, he's saying that a well made cable without gold plating and ofc doesn't make a difference, and he's right!

All that matters is thickness of wire used, twisted pairing, and shielding.

All Gold plating and OFC do is guard against degredation over time, but unless you live underwater you are unlikley seeing a difference within at least 20 years.

And you can make a cable incorrectly, bad soldering.

Seriously, I have a bunch of import Scarts and they had really crappy picture, so I opened them up to see what was wrong - almost NO SOLDER, really, the wires wer "hanging" onto the pins by about 2 strands.

LastGen

QuoteAnd you can make a cable incorrectly, bad soldering.

Seriously, I have a bunch of import Scarts and they had really crappy picture, so I opened them up to see what was wrong - almost NO SOLDER, really, the wires wer "hanging" onto the pins by about 2 strands.
Yep, this is a point I was trying to get across. Let's say I buy a 'crap' component cable for my PS2 and I have my TV calibrated by an ISF professional. That crap cable could have bad soldering on the red wire and now my PS2 games colors are all out of whack. If I had spent the extra $5 to $10 on a good set of cables from Sony or some other ISO certified company I have a much better chance of having my colors correct. And it doesn't stop with colors, maybe I have a ton of equipment laying in my intertainment center with wires and power cords all over the place. I buy some cheap component cable for my PS2 and now I have waves and other anomolies on my TV screen. They may be barely visible, or only visible when a game isn't playing, but the fact that they exist is more reason to spend the extra money on better cables.

Now, there aren't too many cheap PS2 cables in the US anymore since MadCatz is gone, I think they are gone, so any decent pair of Sony or whatever brand should do just fine. But I warn you, once you start calibrating your TV with a calibration disk you better be sure and have some good quality cables hooked up to your DVD player. If you don't you could be calibrating the TV by unknowingly compensating for a bad wire. Go back the example of that red wire having a bad solder. The red signal is coming through but I'm now making incorrect adjustments during calibration to make up for the weak signal in that cable. So now, when I switch from my PS2 to my Xbox I see nothing but a red tint on all my Xbox games. If I had used a good quality built cable with less imperfections the difference would be fairly minimal when switching consoles. I may have to adjust the brightness a little but that is much better than readjusting the colors every single time I switch consoles.

blackevilweredragon

Quote^^  I triple dog dare you to go onto AVScienceForum, and tell them cable quality don't make a difference.

Then I will sit back and watch as they not only tell you, but prove you in every possible way, that you are wrong.

Oh, and how does one make a cable incorrectly?  I mean, it's a simple connection really, pin to pin, ground to ground..  How would any company, even the cheap crap, mess that up?  Oh, right, avoid the fact that the quality of the cable DOES matter.

Do read up.  It states a highly important fact on how cable quality is made.  Conductor, Connector, and Shielding.  I don't know what engineers you are seeing, but might I recommend you leave them while you still can.
Listen mate, he's saying that a well made cable without gold plating and ofc doesn't make a difference, and he's right!

All Gold plating and OFC do is guard against degredation over time, but unless you live underwater you are unlikley seeing a difference within at least 20 years.

All that stuff, conductivity, shielding, goes to HOW good a cable is.  We are not talking WIRE, we are talking CABLE.  The term CABLE refers to ALL that's put into the cable itself.

And if you use an oscilloscope, you will see that each wire has it's own conductivity.  Perhaps you guys should try using one.

Perhaps you should try using a thin belkin VGA cable, then one that is shielded.  You will see a difference.  And guess what, the shielding that makes the thicker cable better, is the QUALITY.  Don't forget though, a wire can be better at conducting than the other.

Did you guys even take electronics and engineering courses?  I sure haven't, and even I know this, just by hanging out with them.

-Martin-

Quote^^  I triple dog dare you to go onto AVScienceForum, and tell them cable quality don't make a difference.

Oh, and how does one make a cable incorrectly?  I mean, it's a simple connection really, pin to pin, ground to ground..  How would any company, even the cheap crap, mess that up?  Oh, right, avoid the fact that the quality of the cable DOES matter.

Do read up.  It states a highly important fact on how cable quality is made.  Conductor, Connector, and Shielding.  I don't know what engineers you are seeing, but might I recommend you leave them while you still can.

All that stuff, conductivity, shielding, goes to HOW good a cable is.  We are not talking WIRE, we are talking CABLE.  The term CABLE refers to ALL that's put into the cable itself.

And if you use an oscilloscope, you will see that each wire has it's own conductivity.  Perhaps you guys should try using one.

Perhaps you should try using a thin belkin VGA cable, then one that is shielded.  You will see a difference.  And guess what, the shielding that makes the thicker cable better, is the QUALITY.  Don't forget though, a wire can be better at conducting than the other.

Did you guys even take electronics and engineering courses?  I sure haven't, and even I know this, just by hanging out with them.
You appear not to have read my post.

Thanks for repeating my point however.

I said shielding and conductivity were important.

I said that gold plating is not.

Gold plating is just a safe guard against corrosion.

You're major problem is you're misunderstanding what other people are saying. And acting like an ass about it to put.

Oh and btw Cables are made of wire, just to let you know.

I didn't say quality didn't matter, I said that the difference between a good quality cable with OFC and Gold a good quality calbe without OFC and GOLD isn't what makes the difference. OFC and gold do NOT change the conductivity, they meerly stop it from degrading over time.

but knowing you, you'll misinterpret this post like a complete dipshit and go off on a 2000 word rant about how your shit smells nicer than mines.  

blackevilweredragon

Perhaps instead of acting like a dick, maybe I should just let it known im autistic ahead of time, and I suck at comprehending, but I DID read it.