Playing old Game Boy classic on DS

Started by kattanFAN, April 24, 2006, 01:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattanFAN

Is there a way to play GB and GBC games on the DS? I mean, it can play GBA games, but older carts won't fit. I also heard that there is no way to just modify a cart and slide it into the DS. Is there anyway, possibly by using an old GBA cart and some spare parts, could one make a GameBoy Color-to-GBA adapter? Would programming be necessary? Is there a wiring technique to exploit?

Midori

If I'm not mistaken the real problem is that a Z80 is not present in the DS and the Z80 acts as a main CPU in gameboy and gameboy color games... So you must connect a Z80 to the port in some way and make it work properly to play those old games. Good luck with that.

QuoteIf I'm not mistaken the real problem is that a Z80 is not present in the DS and the Z80 acts as a main CPU in gameboy and gameboy color games... So you must connect a Z80 to the port in some way and make it work properly to play those old games. Good luck with that.
Now, the Z80, if I could make an adapter from a GBA cart, would the GBA's CPU emulate it? If so, how? Is it even possible? I mean, this would be more like an emulation thing. How would I do that?

Midori

The reason a GBA(GBA micro is not included, only the original and SP) can play GB and GBC carts is because it's got a Z80 inside for those carts. It does not emulate a Z80, if you are going to emulate a Z80 with the GBA CPU(which is a ARM7) you'll need a emulator and some way to manipulate the CPU. Don't ask me how cause I can't do such advanced things and don't know if it is even possible.

Sorry for late answer, I couldn't post anything for a while for some reason.

kattanFAN

What about an adapter for the GBA slot w/ the Z80 in it?

NFG

Rest assured if it were quick, easy and/or cheap to do what you ask someone in China would have released the cart to do it by now.

atom

QuoteWhat about an adapter for the GBA slot w/ the Z80 in it?
No no no. Rule of thumb for modding. If you have no idea if its even possible, then for you its not. Not to burst your bubble but your basically talking about building a gameboy inside a cartridge so you might as well just use a gameboy.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

kattanFAN

QuoteWhat about an adapter for the GBA slot w/ the Z80 in it?
No no no. Rule of thumb for modding. If you have no idea if its even possible, then for you its not. Not to burst your bubble but your basically talking about building a gameboy inside a cartridge so you might as well just use a gameboy.
What about a chip that emulates the Z80?

Epicenter

That wouldn't work either. Get a flash cartridge and run a GB emulator. One exists, but I don't know if it runs at full speed. By now, it should.
- Epicenter
Epic Gaming Admin

bmxfelon420

if you can get a ds flash cart, maybe the emu could flash onto it.  Idk how you'd tell it to run the game, itd take someone with lots of reverse engineering/programming knowledge.

-Guest#9XXXX-

QuoteThat wouldn't work either. Get a flash cartridge and run a GB emulator. One exists, but I don't know if it runs at full speed. By now, it should.
I am sure you can use Flubba's Goomba emulator which runs most games on full speed. Flash the emu + games on a normal GBA flash card. The Ds should read the GBA flash card which has the emu on it.

Good luck

iamalanwelch

Hey guys I was searching around for something along this line.  This guy seems to have a promising solution.  Though I don't know if it will work with a DS Lite.  Could one of y'all give it a shot and see?  My girlfriend would be pissed if I killed her DS to do this and it fails.

Here's the link to the page.

http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=2333

phreak97

dont do it.. it's fake. the module pictured with the blue square around it is the wireless, the cpu is actually underneath the ds card slot. also connecting your antenna to the shielding will likely just burn out your wireless completely. also, given that the article is four years old, it's unlikely anything positive came from it, or else we'd all know about it by now. i dont know what pin theyre getting you to solder to on the gb port, but i'd bet if you look it up it's not something you want to be grounding.. probably vcc or something.. heh. anyway, in a real gba theres a physical switch in the cartridge port which either gets pressed or not depending on if it's a gb or gba cart, with this missing in the ds, theres not likely any easy way for the ds to do the right thing by the cartridge.

it just isnt happening.