adding blue only and bw switched in my monitor

Started by The_RandomMan, December 13, 2003, 03:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_RandomMan

ive opened up m monitor  and i noticed 8 pots on the side of the board and after fiddling around with them i discovered that the controlled  warmth, rgb 2 other color tuners ( i cant tell what they tune but when i twist 'em the colors change, brightness and h scale. so my question is, could i rig a circuit to the pots so i could get a blue only switch and a greyscale picture?

benzaldehyde

Why not just get a DPST switch that you could wire to cut the Green and Red signals into your monitor? Or, is it not RGB?

The_RandomMan

benzaldehyde

If you already have soldering equipment (an assumption I made when you mentioned rigging a circuit), then a DPST switch should only cost a few dollars. I know a DPDT switch costs ~$5 at Radio Shack, so it isn't too much. Then again, I've been in such a situation when I had to decide between eating and getting a part. One of the few things I enjoy more than gaming is eating, but I don't need to eat... ;)

The_RandomMan

OH dpd-T ahhh.....
can i combine all of the rgb signals and get a B&W image? blue only is a synch but i  dont know much about how rgb does its thing, and if the ssignals are all sync -ed but i guess it cant hurt TOO much to try, at least not as much as the 1 foot tall and 6 inch wide capacitor im going to build >:)

benzaldehyde

Well, you could use a DPDT and just leave the secondary position terminals unconnected. I misunderstood; I thought you wanted a blue-color only picture. I'm not sure how to get a B&W picture from RGB. If I'm not too off-target, using a luma signal alone from S-video is B&W only. But from RGB, I've no clue.

matt

Quotecan i combine all of the rgb signals and get a B&W image?
Yes, you can do that.  It's easy if you use a 3pdt switch.

benzaldehyde

No joke? That's what I call deceptively simple...  :ph34r: