XRGB2 - which vga to component adapter?

Started by Anthony1fromDP, April 05, 2006, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony1fromDP

Ok, I have a XRGB2 that I use with my consoles to play them in RGB on a Infocus projector. It's pretty amazing, but I would also like to use it on my TV in my living room. The TV in the living room is a Sony HDTV that has component inputs. So obviously, I need some type of vga to component adapter. I was wondering if anybody has had any personal experience with XRGB2's and any particular VGA to Component adapters?

I know that most transcoders aren't very cheap, so I don't want to buy the wrong kind.

mr. newbie

maybe i got the wrong idea but a vga->component cable costs like $5. the problem i see here is your tv not being able to accept the rgb from the xrgb. if you plug an rgb cable into a component tv i dont think the tv can display it.

and transcoding rgb to component? might as well use the component cables for the console. after spending $200 on an xrgb why spend another $200 to get it back to component (which you could just get from your consoles anyway)

Quotemaybe i got the wrong idea but a vga->component cable costs like $5. the problem i see here is your tv not being able to accept the rgb from the xrgb. if you plug an rgb cable into a component tv i dont think the tv can display it.

and transcoding rgb to component? might as well use the component cables for the console. after spending $200 on an xrgb why spend another $200 to get it back to component (which you could just get from your consoles anyway)
Because it's a HDTV, and I'm talking about wide band component. The progressive scan signal of 640 x 480 should be able to be converted to a 480p component signal that the TV will understand and display. Unfortunately, I can't just use a regular vga to component cable, it has to actually be some type of transcoder.

fubarduck

I use an X-Select D4 (another Micomsoft product) to do the transcoding to the Component input on my Sony XBR910.  Does an excellent job; screen is perfectly centered, colors and brightness are excellent.

Input 3 on the X-Select D4 has both a D-Terminal and a 15-pin VGA input.  In the settings, you can set Input 3 to use either one of the inputs (default is D-Terminal, so just switch it to VGA and you're good).  Just plug the output of XRGB-2+ to Input 3 of the X-Select D4.

The X-Select D4 only outputs D-Terminal, so you will need a male-to-male D-Terminal to Component cable in order to use it.  I bought one in Japan, but you can probably find one online as well if you look.