Help With Solder/PCB pad problems...

Started by Peyn, March 26, 2006, 06:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peyn

Ok, so I was just about to complete a region mod on my model 1 sega saturn, and on the last wire, I managed to screw up the solder, and when I moved the wire conected to the pad I soldered it to, the pad just came off. What the hell do I do? I mean, there just isnt any little pad anymore... help!

NFG

Depending on the pad you may be able to find another point on the PCB that will work for you.  Give up more details and maybe we can help.

-Martin-

Failing that, you could etch away the laquer and solder to the trace on the board, although it'snot advisable as if the wire is pulled you could pull the trace right OFF!

Hey, thanks for the help, but I fixed it. I just scratched away at where the pad used to be, to reveal the copper underneath. Then I soldered from that. Thanks anyway!

Bunny

I'm in much the same boat here. I managed to rip off BOTH pads of the JP10-11 common point, so badly that there doesn't even seem to be any copper left underneath.

It looks like I've got two options:
(1) solder to the tiny, tiny exposed glimmer of copper I can see between the two pads (around the hole), or
(2) ask if anyone knows what that pad's connected to, so I can solder there instead.

I prefer (2), since I'd rather solder to a pad or a pin than a trace, plus it'd make the area of the jumpers on the PCB a little less overcrowded. So, does anyone know where that line goes?

I guess I could track it down myself, but I'm hardly experienced in PCB-wrangling, so my technique would be to jam a multimeter probe in the remaining bit of copper, then test for a connection with every other point on the motherboard, one after the other. Help please?

NFG

There are Saturn schematics on gamesx.com that show what that line is connected to.

http://www.gamesx.com/grafx/PAD+C_Code.gif

Check the bottom left.  Jumper 10/11 connects to pin 7 of the 315-5744 Hitachi peripheral controller.

Bunny

Ah, that's perfect. Now I'm considering attaching all three JP lines to the chip, seeing as how it's on the right side of the motherboard and right beside where I mounted my rotary switch...

THANK YOU LAWRENCE

LOVE & HUGGLES!

NFG

Bunny

VICTOLY! I can finally close up my Saturn for good now. Three-way rotary switch for region and a slider for 50/60Hz modes. It's kind of ass-ugly, but you have to do a lot more damage than that to a black Saturn to make it look noticeably worse.

NFG

I like that big fat switch.  The silver one...  Yeah, it's ass ugly.  

Nice work.