Nomad mod... how does it work?

Started by archan, March 07, 2006, 11:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archan

I know the Nomad mod looks like the easiest thing in the world, but how exactly does it work? By pressing the MODE button on turn on I can see how the circuit would switch to the jumper required, but wouldn't you have to keep the button depressed or am I missing something?

ido8bit

It depends on the games you are playing.  On most games holding the button down long enough for the game to get past the 50/60Hz check is enough.  This avoids having to make a hole in the case for a switch.  

The downside is there are some PAL games that do use the extra lines.  On these games the top and bottom of the screen will be cut off unless the button is held down.  For this reason I have installed a small toggle switch in my Nomad.  

archan

well... I was thinking of doing a jp/us mod with the same logic, but would that even work?

NFG

The system only checks the country on power-up.  Some games might check it a couple of times before reaching the title screen, but most don't.  Holding the button for a second or two while turning the system on is usually enough.