News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

32X mod???

Started by Segasonicfan, December 11, 2003, 06:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Hey, Im looking for a way to mod my 32X to play imports.  acouple games had UK releases only (Darxide!) and they NEVER made an import converter for this thing! :(  if anyone can post a link or description for a possible mod i would really appreciate it! :) Thanks!

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

dumdum

not %100 sure, but apparently the 32x does not have teritory lockout, the games look at the megadrive/genesis's teritory instead, so try to mod that. if you set the megadrive/genesis to a different speed (50/60Hz) this breaks the colour in your console's composite video, but the 32x is handy here as it will take the rgb from the console and turn into into a regular pal/ntsc signal - wont adjust speed though of course (you'll get 50Hz ntsc or 60Hz pal etc.. make sure TV can handle it)

Segasonicfan

hey thanks for the info :) unfortunately ive been having alot of trouble modding my model 1 genesis...i cant find a mod for my version (1992 VA7 PCB motherboard) theres only 2 JP jumpers as opposed to the mods ive seen written for 4.  if you know of a way I can mod my model 1 genesis I would be so grateful! :)  Thanks!

-Segasonicfan

NFG

All genesis/MD model 1 units had the same numbered jumpers.  I've yet to see a single unit that didn't have the jumpers 1-4, though they differ greatly in their location.  Just like the Saturn the jumpers move around from board to board, and you'll probably find they ARE there if you look harder.  

ido8bit

I can play US 32x games on a PAL 32x/megadrive by switching the megadrive to 60Hz and then back to 50Hz as I power the system on.  Leaving the megadrive in 60Hz doesn't work as then it is out of sync with the 32x.

If I could work out how to put a 50/60Hz switch in the 32x it should work perfectly. There aren't really any 32x titles I'm dying to play so I haven't put a lot of effort in working it out.  

What I have noticed is every PAL 32x that I have opened has a modified NTSC board in it.  Maybe they never got as far as making a PAL version of the board, or all mine are early units.  I guess finding an NTSC 32x and comparing the 2 I should be able to work out where to put the 50/60Hz switch.

Might be a cheap 32x of ebay next time I get motivated enough to look into this again.  

Segasonicfan

That would bevery helpful if you could do that...i know there isnt a whole lotta motication to do so, but i would certainly appreciate it! :)  The 32x has a lot of great games people dont usually consider though, due to its reputation.  Space harrier 32x, afterburner, spiderman web of fire, shadow squadron, darxide, metal head, kolibri (bought this yesterday), tempo, T-Mek, darxide, and blackthorne are extremely good games.  in my opinion, they make the system worth owning.  I have almost all of them too, but i would be really nice if i could mod my system for when i eventually get darxide (and o i can play my other PAL coppy of space harrier)  :)

as for the Genny jumpers....damn...I looked HARD.  i suppose i could open everything up and look again, but i was really looking carefully.  normally, the 4 jumpers are lined up vertically to the bottom right of the PCB board.  theres only 2 on mine, and theyre horizontal.  i looked all over the board but could find any other jumpers.  i guess i could look again, but i doubt the other 2 are there...i tried to do a mod with just  JP  1& 2 (to switch between jap and usa games) but it didnt work at all.  took me about 4 hours to hook everything up and solder the wires to a double throw switch too...lol.  do you need to have the system in 50hz+jap mode to play japanese games?  or am i using the wrogn wires?  copper wire should do the trick i think...but i guess not.  damn, i need a mod for my kind of PCB board...:-/

thanks guys :)

-segaosonicfan

ido8bit

In my opinion Star Wars Arcade is the killer app for the 32x.  Space Harrier and Virtua Racing (seems to handle better than the Saturn version) are worth having.  Fred Couples Golf is pretty good as golf games go.  I've got all these in PAL format.  

I imported US versions of Star Trek, Knuckles Kaotix and Zaxxon Motherbase 2000.  I was disappointed with all 3, especially Zaxxon.  I've got a few other games that I don't remember right now, so they can't have been that great.

As for the genny mod, set it to JAP and 60Hz to play JAP games.  Also in some earlier games have both the english and JAP versions in the one cart.  I've notice in some PAL games if I switch the system I get the JAP titles screens and sometimes it changes other in game graphics as well.  This also works for Master System games if you have the Master System converter.  If you really can't find the jumper positions buy another cheap genny from somewhere and check that one.  Most of the Megadrive 1s that I've checked the jumpers are easy enough to find.  I usually install 2 separate switches rather than a double throw switch.  I need to do it that way to be able to select PAL, US and JAP modes.  

ido8bit

If anyone feels like sending me a US 32X, so that I may look into this sooner than I otherwise might feel free to contact me.  :)

I only need the 32X unit itself, no power supply or cables.  Even a dead one would probably do...

Segasonicfan

why did zaxxon disappoint you?  I played the rom (the first level or so) and it seemed like a very decent shooter...

hrmm if i come across a cheap US 32X i can certainly send it to you....hey maybe you could mod mine and send it back...ya think? :-)

Damn, it looks like Im going to have to buy another model 1 Genesis just for the other jumpers...lol.  what if i use a super magic key?  will the 32X work through that? hrmm i wonder....

-Segasoincfan  

ido8bit

It's been a long time since I played 32X Zaxxon... from memory it seemed like just another horizontal scrolling shoot'em up, seemed like they'd just stuck the Zaxxon name on it without retaining any of the elements that made the original Zaxxon different to other shoot'em ups...  Viewpoint on Neo Geo felt more like Zaxxon to me than 32X Zaxxon did.  

I don't have a Super Magic Key, but as far I can tell those defeat the territory lockouts in some cartridges, but do nothing for games that detect whether the console is 50/60Hz...  The fact that I can play US 32X games on a PAL Megadrive in by switching to 50Hz means suggests to me that 32X games don't have the territory lockout, they just detect if the console is 50 or 60Hz.  I doubt a Super Magic Key would work for 32X games.  I know I can't use a Datel CDX Pro cart to play US 32X Mega-CD games on a PAL Mega-CD/Megadrive.

If I can work out how to mod the 32X I could return the NTSC 32X modded.

Segasonicfan

ok...lemme know what progress you make on figuring out the mod and, if you can figure it out, I can send you my 32X :-)  Thanks.

-Segasonicfan

Guest_Segasonicfan

I just traded for another US 32X which I'll be getting soon, so I can send you one for sure if you're willing to help me out with the mod...thanks a bunch :)

-Segasonicfan

ido8bit

Sure...  Leave me a PM with your email address so we can work out the details.