News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Need a Nomad LCD

Started by Kaervak, March 04, 2006, 02:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaervak

I recently bought a Nomad from eBay with a smashed LCD.  Pretty much looks like it met the business end of someone's foot.  I can provide pics if anyone wants. :D  Anyway, everything else on it functions just fine so it is worth repairing.  Problem is, I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement LCD for it.  Preferrably an exact match, but a compatible LCD would be ok too.  If anyone has one/knows where to get one that's resonably priced, please let me know.  Or if anyone is looking for a parts Nomad and would like to buy the one I have, that's ok too.  Thanks everyone.

NFG

I can't imagine you'll find a nomad-compatible screen for less than the cost of another nomad.

kendrick

Unlike the Game Gear (which has a proprietary digital display with a funny controller) it looks like the Nomad screen accepts a run-of-the-mill 15 kHz RGB analog signal. You might not be able to find a drop-in replacement, but you could conceivably take another screen (with an appropriate controller, of course) and jury rig it in there. In your place, I would get an RGB lead and attach it to the video-out port for the purpose of testing the video encoding circuitry, just to make sure that your Nomad can still produce a video signal at all.

But like Lawrence says, this is likely a solution that will cost you a couple of hundred dollars (or a 160 Euros, or whatever.) You might want to invest in a new Nomad anyway.

-KKC, doing strange things with Sega CD hardware.

Kaervak

Well that's certainly dissapointing.  Always wanted a Nomad and when I saw this one my "why I can fix that" syndrome popped up.  Anyone looking for a parts Nomad? :D  Although, all is not lost.  I do have a spare Genesis now. :)  Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.