Switch off Sync-On-Green in the PS2

Started by RARusk, December 09, 2003, 08:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RARusk

While trying to mod my PS2 to do DVDS in RGB, I fixed the Component Video Switchback problem by doing the jumper hack. I hacked a rocker switch into my PS2 to allow me to manually switch between RGB and Component Video. But when I tried to watch a movie on my NEC MultiSync, I ran into an unexpected problem. It seems that I was still getting sync for Component Video through the green channel even though I was in RGB. It turns out that the sync for Component Video is individual of the video itself. Even though I had switched off Component Video, I had not switched off the sync for it. Natually, I have no problems watching movies on my 1084 monitor since it is not sync-on-green.

But now I want to find out where, on a revision 4 PS2 motherboard, I can find the jumper to turn off the sync-on-green so I can use any monitor to watch movies on. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

NFG

You're slightly confused.  The PS2 outputs Sync-on-Green, because the AV port doesn't have enough pins for Composite or separated H+V Sync.  This was a big deal when the Linux kit was released, as Sync-on-Green compatible monitors aren't so common.  

You can make a separator circuit to use the Sync signal separately, check google for details on that.  Alternatively you can use an LM1881 to extract composite (or H+V) from the composite video line.

RARusk

Yes, the PS2 does Sync-on-Green (when using the Linux kit or playing "Soul Calibur II"). But this is what happens when I try to play a movie on my MultiSync.

When the movie boots up, the video is in RGB thanks to the jumper hack which keeps the PS2 from switching back to Component Video. However, the screen is overly green and the sync is a little screwed up because I am still getting the sync for Component Video even though the video is in RGB. The sync for Component Video is SEPARATE from the Component Video and is INDIVIDUALLY controlled. I managed to turn off the Component Video but not the sync for it. When I play a movie in RGB on my Commodore 1084 monitor, it looks fine because the monitor ignores the sync coming through the green line. What I want to do is hack my PS2 to include a switch that will allow me to switch off the sync-on-green (and switch back on if the need arises) so I can play movies on any monitor, including my MultiSync, without any problems. This will give me full control over RGB and sync-on-green capabilities. I already have a switch on the right side of my unit that allows me to manually switch between Component and RGB video.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....