Information on the new EL1883 Sync Separator Chip

Started by RARusk, December 09, 2003, 08:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RARusk

In addition to playing my games in RGB on the PS2, I wanted to watch my movies in RGB as well. But doing that was more difficult. First, I had to get around the Component Video switchback (I did the jumper hack - complete with rocker switch - to get around that problem). But after that, I ran into another problem. When I watched certain movies, like "The Matrix", it looked like there were additional sync pulses that couldn't be accounted for resulting in a screwed up picture. Some of my other discs had no problems. I originally had a topic in the old Atarilabs that asked what would cause this but got no replies.

When Elantec became Intersil, I did a little research on the 4583 sync chip which was the chip I was using to get sync from my PS2. I stumbled across a FAQ page from someone who had the same problem when trying to do RGB from a DVD player. Not only did Intersil say what the problem was, they also had a solution.

The problem stems from the MacroVision copy protection scheme. It uses extraneous sync pulses that can screw up attempted recordings but can be ignored by TV sets and monitors. Unfortunately, it also wreaks havoc on sync separator chips as well and you can't tweak the sync chips to compensate. Until recently, the only way around MacroVision was to modchip your PS2 and try to turn it off. A risky adventure.

Intersil's solution was their brand new, released earlier this year, EL1883. At first examination, it looks exactly like the 1881. But there are two differences. First, the Odd/Even Output has been replaced by a true Horizontal sync output. This makes it look like a combination of the 1881 and the 4583. The second, and the main reason I got this chip, is the fact that it is MacroVision compatible. This chip, like a TV set, can ignore the extra sync pulses that MacroVision throws into the ingoing video essentially filtering it out.

As a result, I can now watch ALL of my DVD's in RGB with no problems, save for one which will be discussed in another topic. Go here http://www.intersil.com/products/deviceinfo.asp?pn=EL1883 for a copy of their datasheet.

There is one issue however, and it is a big one. The chip is ONLY available as a surface mount. So you can't just simply pop out your 1881 and plug in the 1883. So you have to be good at dealing with surface mount stuff to get this to work.

As a result, you should really want to watch movies in RGB before trying to get the 1883. If you have no desire to watch movies in RGB but want to play games in RGB on the PS2, then any other sync chip will do.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

matt

You can solve the SMT problem using either this or this

Where did you find that chip, BTW?

RARusk

I typed "4583" into Intersil's search engine and up came some relevant documents. One of them had a title that sounded like the sync problem I was having and that is where I found it.

I  did a kluge using a premade pc board from Radio Shack (part# 276-150) and some 30-guage wire to solve my surface mount problem. The chip works great and I highly recommend it.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

matt

RARusk

Didn't buy it. I asked for a sample pack and got two of them. As a result, I don't know how much they sell them for.