Gold NES connector

Started by TJ_Kat, December 31, 2005, 03:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Kat

where can I find them fairly cheap? I figured Lik-Sang would have, since they seem to have pretty much everything, but nope, none there that I could find. I'd also like to avoid eBay right now, because I'm just tired of dealing with jerk sellers right now.

kendrick

TJ, are you referring specifically to the cartridge connector? MCM Electronics is a source for some of the older Nintendo custom parts, but I'm not sure if they have the cart connector in stock. Was there really a version with gold contacts, or were they just tinned copper? If you're referring to another part, please cheerfully disregard my post.

-KKC, digging on Dead or Alive 4.

TJ_Kat

no no, that's the one. I did some reading around, and apparently, no one has anything nice to say about the orginal cartrige connector and apparently there's one with gold contacts to replace it with.

that the connector has gold contacts isn't even all that important to me, I just want something that will work a little more than every one in ten tries =p

Vorde

I would simply reccomend doing two things to get your NES games to work:

1) Clean all your games with rubbing alcohol and the pins (you do this by putting a wet cart with alcohol into the system in and out a few times) BUT make sure that it's DRY before you go to use it again.

2) Bend the pins inside the console. It worked so well for me that I don't even need to push the games down anymore to get them to work  :D

Other than that, there are no such things as "gold" cart connectors. They're simply made of stainless steel so that they don't rust and such as the old ones. The problem is, is that these new connectors are not made as well as the original ones so you can replace them but they'll last less than the original NES's did in the first place  <_<

Anyways, I hope this helped!  :lol:  
I am the one that hunts you in the darkness...

http://www.surfjunky.com/?r=Vorde

Vertigo

QuoteOther than that, there are no such things as "gold" cart connectors. They're simply made of stainless steel so that they don't rust and such as the old ones. The problem is, is that these new connectors are not made as well as the original ones so you can replace them but they'll last less than the original NES's did in the first place  <_<
You can get gold-plated ones that are a lot better than the standard ones.

Thanks for playing.

TJ_Kat

yes! *points at Vertigo* now where to get them?

Vertigo

On the internet!
A search on ebay shows 2 going for a BIN of 10 buckaroos each.

atom

Quote2) Bend the pins inside the console. It worked so well for me that I don't even need to push the games down anymore to get them to work
You must have used my guide! Lol! :wub: This is what I reccomend everyone is crazy about getting new connectors but the deal is, it only gives you so much time before that one is worn out as well.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Vorde

Quote2) Bend the pins inside the console. It worked so well for me that I don't even need to push the games down anymore to get them to work
You must have used my guide! Lol! :wub: This is what I reccomend everyone is crazy about getting new connectors but the deal is, it only gives you so much time before that one is worn out as well.
lol, I used it and it works quite well. The only odd thing I've found about this mod is the fact that some games play really well (Final Fantasy, StarTropics, Metroid) and some others I find play badly. Sometimes I still have to push it down in order to get it to work like SMB and Kirby's Adventure.

Anyways, other than that, I'm pretty happy. I'm planning on putting some blue LEDs into the top parts of my NES and cuting a square in the top and putting plexiglass into it. I hope it turns out well.  :D

NOTE: People are begginning to think I'm crazy by overclocking my old systems and modding them up. I told them "well, don't come complaining to me when I can play Sonic without lag!" :lol:  
I am the one that hunts you in the darkness...

http://www.surfjunky.com/?r=Vorde

FM-77

A question: why blue LEDs? What's so cool about them? First of all, I don't find LEDs cool at all, it looks cheesy, but why blue? Why not red? Or green? Or orange?

kendrick

LED technology has been pretty limited up until three or four years ago. They were all red at the beginning because that was the easiest (and cheapest) color to emit. It's only recently that the materials have been cheap enough where white and blue LED colors were cost-effective. Outside of high-end computing equipment, you don't generally see blue LED lights because they are still slightly more expensive, and so they're less common. When consumer electronics generally have red or green LED lighting, blue and white ones tend to stand out.

That's the technology explanation. There's an aesthetic explanation that posits our eyes are less sensitive to blue light, and so there are some physiological reasons why we might be drawn to want to see it. Microsoft certainly thinks so, given how much blue they use in their logos and artwork.

There used to be a GamesX page that discussed how the human eye is less sensitive to blue light and pigment. Ah yes, here it is:

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/visual.htm

-KKC, geeking out something fierce over a lazy weekend.

atom

QuoteA question: why blue LEDs? What's so cool about them? First of all, I don't find LEDs cool at all, it looks cheesy, but why blue? Why not red? Or green? Or orange?
I hate to point fingers but this is just trolling.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

phreak97

you can get ultra violet leds aswel, and they look very cool. they are less bright though,