FM Transmitter Signal Amplifier -> Ipod

Started by cloudd, December 14, 2005, 04:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloudd

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find out some info on modding my Monster iCar Play FM transmitter. Even though it was supposed to be the best one there is still static probably because of the FCC laws in Canada. I wamt to mod it and make the signal way higher than it is supposed to be. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks guys

cloudd

it is running of the car adapter so I have a steady power supply

kendrick

Not to tell you how you should be modifying your own equipment, but in your shoes I would work first towards eliminating sources of interference. You're describing static, but not any variances in volume or reception, so I don't think that boosting your transmission signal will do anything except broadcast static into your neighbor's radio. :)

Running off the car's power supply does provide power in a more reliable way than with batteries, but this doesn't necessarily make it more steady or more uniform. Automobile output at the cigarette adapter can vary wildly in amperage and voltage, especially if you have a lot of other accessories or funny lighting installed. You might want to think about installing an additional power regulator between the iPod and the car so that you get a consistent 12 volts and no noise or interference there.

One last thing? This conversation should probably go into the PC forum, since general topics usually cover game-related modding. Of course, Lawrence gets the final say on that.

-KKC, who found a high level model 2 schematic. Crud, my Wiki page is all kinds of wrong.

Endymion

I just went to a wired cassette player adapter and solved all of those problems.

cloudd

Static was a figure of speech. Everyone has the same problem with fm transmitters it is the signal strength. Depends where you live or where you are in your car, other stations seem to bring the reception down because the signal from the transmitter is out powered by neighbouring stations or Other things interfere with it. Besides I have a new 2005 Corolla no funky anything happening all stock with cd player. I honestly think a cossette would sound better. I just need to up the signal so if anyone has any links or suggestions please pass them on. All veichles I have been in do it. Everyone has the problem.

DaveJ-UK

I'd say a decent battery is probably more reliable than hooking up to a cars cigerette lighter.

My radar detector warns you when the voltage falls outside the required range and it often flashes the warning up for a second if the stereo is on and I turn beam headlights on. It will constantly display the warning in the same situation if I press and hold the electric window buttons.

Just my $0.02

Aidan

Cross channel interference can cause all sorts of interesting problems. There's a fairly complex set of rules that specify which frequencies are usable when there are other stations nearby.

Boosting the output could well cause interference for other users too, as their RF front end tries to discriminate between your signal and another local signal. Personally, I think that FM transmitters for this kinda stuff are a just a bad idea. Hardwiring provides much better quality.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

obviously hardwiring is almost always the best interference free choice for almost anything but simplicity is the key here. I could care less aabout someone elses signal with local stations not like there is a sation on 88.7 or one of those stations where I live anyways. I was to aply an rf amp to it. and I just apply a rf amp chicp top the antena and get instate siginal amplification? currently 250mW I want like 500mW or 1W. any chip suggestions?

cloudd

Obviously hardwiring is almost always the best interference free choice for almost anything, but simplicity is the key here. I could care less about someone elses signal for local stations, but it's not like there is a sation on 88.7 or one of those stations where I live anyways. I want to apply an rf amp to the antenna. Cana I just add a rf amp IC to the antenna and get instate siginal amplification? Currently beleive it is 250mW.  I want like 500mW or 1W any chip suggestions?  

Aidan

Cross channel interference doesn't occur just because you're on the same frequency. It also occurs when you're certain frequencies away from another transmitter. In Europe you need to be at least 0.2MHz from another channel AND avoid any frequency that's 10.7MHz from a current transmitter. (This is due to the IF used in some FM receivers - hitting that 10.7MHz will cause lots of cross channel interference).

A 1W signal could, with a decent antenna, travel a KM or so. That would put you at much more of a serious risk of interferening with other transmissions - when you get to that point, the authorities start to take an interest in you.

You're probably better off trying to reorientate the transmitting antenna rather than trying to boost the power. Siting the transmitting antenna in a bad location can result in a loss of a huge amount of power - it can take that 250mW signal down by 10-100 times.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]