Yellow color pallet on 32X w/ Gen game

Started by phiridan, December 11, 2005, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phiridan

I found a Sega 32X without the AV cables so I soldered in my own. The 32X games play fine but when I try to play a Genesis game with the 32X installed, I get a good picture but all of the colors are a yellow pallet. Is this normal? I don't have a manual either. Does anybody know where I can download a scan of one?
Thanks

ido8bit

There's something wrong with the cable you made.  When you're playing a 32X game the video is generated within the 32X.  When you are playing a Genesis game the video signal is passed through from the Genesis to the 32X via that cable. I suspect you have connected the RGB lines in the cable wrong.  A yellow picture suggests the blue line isn't connected.

phiridan

Okay I'll double check that.

When I first turn the Genesis/32x on (with a 32X game), the "Licensed by Sega" screen is yellow also.  Is this part normal? What color would that screen be with a Genesis game playing?

kendrick

The license screen should have pure white text on a pure black background. I agree with Ido's analysis, it sounds like the blue wire on your external connector is shorted or not connected.

-KKC, who once thought about moving the video port to the top of the Genesis so that the 32x could connect to it without a fiddly wire poking out of the back.

ido8bit

The licensed by Sega screen is generated by the Genesis BIOS before the 32X actually starts up.

The region check is also on the Genesis side, so you can usually play US 32X games on a PAL system by flipping the 50/60Hz switch on the genesis as it boots.  

phiridan

Okay, after several more attempts I found that the blue was line was open, the red and green were switched, And finally the left audio channel was lost, then found again.

Yes I realize for the money I spent on parts and all the time it took me I could have just bought the two correct cables, but this was a fun challenge. (Also Vectorman has great stereo separation.)

Hey guys, THANKS for your help!!