genesis/MD joypad 6

Started by dudule, December 07, 2005, 04:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudule

hi all,
somebody could it say to me if one to little find in the trade the equivalent of the  "sega chips" in the pad 6 ?

in the pad 3 buton it's a 74hcXXX but in the official pad 6 it's a segaXXX .

the pc engine pad and the genesis pad are similar, the pcengine pad 6 use two 74XXX, can i try to make the same one for the genesis ?

thx

sorry for my poor english.

NFG

The 6-button genny pad uses a very complicated protocol that has no single-chip solution, except for the custom Sega one.  To replicated it with off-the-shelf chips you'd need 6-8 chips working in concert.

Aidan

[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

phreak97

are the extra three buttons really useful enough to bother?

kendrick

If you consider the Genesis version of Street Fighter II to be definitive on 16-bit consoles, the six buttons are absolutely necessary. There are a couple of RPG's that use the extra buttons, but they're also perfectly playable with the three-button controller through alternate menu layouts.

There's a similar motivation for wanting to use a six button controller on a PC Engine though, since that version of Street Fighter II is arguably closer to the arcade version.

-KKC, who attended an arcade and pinball auction today. Wow, they sure try to unload a lot of junk at those.

phreak97

does the same apply for tg16? cos i only have two button controllers..

kendrick

I don't honestly know if any PC Engine games really supported six buttons, apart from Street Fighter. I've also seen three-button PC Engine controllers, but don't know how often that third button is used. It will take a bigger otaku than I to weigh in on this topic. :)

-KKC, who used to have the mother of all import game shops in his town before they dried up and blew away, unable to convince the general public that Sega and NEC had it going on.

NFG

Three button PCE pads are just two buttons with the start or select buttons (usually selectable) duplicated as a third button.  There's a full list of PCE 6-button games here on the wiki:

PC Engine 6-button games on the wiki