Playing a PAL game (Terranigma) on an NTSC SNES

Started by thegreening, November 29, 2005, 02:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegreening

Hi, I just recently picked up a good condition copy of Terranigma.  Unfortunately, this was a PAL-only release, and here I sit in California, US with an NTSC SNES and am about to have two free weeks of tonsilectemy recovery.  

How would a guy like me go about getting this game fired up?  Someone told me that breaking the tabs off would work for PAL games.  This is not so.  Is there such thing as a PAL -> NTSC adaptor (I know that there's a NTSC -> PAL adaptor, but I believe it only works to check the PAL region and then play the NTSC game, and not vice versa)?

At one point I was going to get a PAL SNES, but then I was told there would be conflicts with TVs designed for NTSC playback.  Is that a reality, or are TVs inert in the display process, merely showing what they are given?  

Please help the man named,
Will

Thanks!

JohnT

Will,

www.gamesx.com has info on Lockout and 50/60 mods for the SNES, both of which you will need for Terranigma.  I played a PAL Terranigma on my US NTSC SNES.  Just follow the directions.  

*If I remember correctly, you have to boot the game in 50 hz mode, then switch it after the intro.

Take care,

JohnT

snes4u at hotmail dot com

yeah, you will need to break the tabs, and you will also need to install the 50/60Hz switch. if your tv does not support 50Hz, it's still ok, as mentioned above, you can start the game in 50Hz mode then switch to 60 so you can play.

jason

so in order to play this game, you have to have the console opened up?

jason

okay ignore that last comment, simply disconnecting pin 4 isn't enough?

Vertigo

The game must be started in 50Hz mode otherwise it will give you an error screen (Not designed for your Super NES or Super Famicom) and won't go any further. After you've successfully booted it in 50Hz you can then switch the system 60Hz with no further problems.