i can get a rgb picture form a standard nes ppu!?

Started by acem77, November 17, 2005, 07:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acem77

Is there some basic support for rgb in a basic ntsc nes model 1 ppu?
From what I have read I would has said it would not have any rgb support.
By accident I got it to show a picture through my xrgb2 plus.
I installed the 40pin socket and ran all the needed wires and components for the stereo and rgb mod.
I do not have the play choice ppu in yet (on its way). I wanted to see if I could get my nes running with its original ppu again to test the stereo mod.
I went to plug my rgb/audio cable into my xrgb to just hear the music but I accidentally plugged the cable into the other end of my cdi cable. That made a funny buzz� :P  then I switched to the correct cable and saw a picture on my tv!!!�??..
it is hard to repeat but so far i can do it every few tries if repeat everything.

Ok the colors on not right and the gfx are glitchy.
But still cool for a chip that as far as I heard does not output rgb.
could this be a hint on how to do other nes rgb mods?

NFG

There is no RGB from the standard PPU.  If you're getting a signal it's almost certainly a composite video signal - RGB uses c-vid as the SYNC line, and the XRGB may be using that as a normal, composite video signal.  The plus moreso, since the RGB input can be used for several different signals.

kendrick

The other possibility is that the NES unit you're hacking up isn't a licensed, geniune Nintendo product but one of the Famiclones that does have an RGB-capable PPU. If yours looks like a front-loading American NES then it's probably real, but I can't say for certain without a look at the motherboard and the casing. The true way to test is to isolate the lines you think are producing the RGB signals and feed them straight into a CRT without using the XRGB box.

-KKC, who just ordered three Genesis Mark-I units for no reason he can rationally explain. Now I have one for every room of the house

atom

Hold on a minute... wait one minute....

I thought thats exactly what an XRGB is supposed to do! Decode crappy signals into crappy RGB or VGA...  So wouldnt it just be converting composite into RGB like its supposed to? I mean, if you hooked it up to a monitor without XRGB and got a signal thats different.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Endymion

QuoteI thought thats exactly what an XRGB is supposed to do! Decode crappy signals into crappy RGB or VGA...  So wouldnt it just be converting composite into RGB like its supposed to? I mean, if you hooked it up to a monitor without XRGB and got a signal thats different.
QuoteI thought thats exactly what an XRGB is supposed to do! Decode crappy signals into crappy RGB or VGA...

It can do that, but that's not its interesting use. If you want to do only that you can buy a twenty dollar "VGA box" and get the same thing.

The better use that interests us here for an XRGB2+ is to convert RGB, of the 15KHz variety, into VGA i.e. RGB of the 31KHz variety. It gives a nicer, cleaner colour than converting composite or s-video.