Neo Geo Pocket video. Possible?

Started by D-Lite, December 07, 2003, 02:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Lite

Anyone ever try to get video out of an NGPC?  The innards are very clearly marked, but is it possible, like a GBA de Advance or GBA-to-TV Converter?

NFG

Everything's possible, but without detailed knowledge of the system and a buying public to justify the cost I doubt you're ever going to see this mod done.

D-Lite

There's definitely a good number of people looking to get it if it's available (over at Neo-Geo.com), but no one is close to figuring it out, mostly because no one has put in the time.  I'd do it for myself, no question, and also would have some people interested

What kind of signal goes to the LCD screen on any handheld?  I'm going to try to find RGB on it and it should be doable since there's a number of contacts with R1, R2, R3, G1, G2, etc marked on the PCB.

Ever see the inside of one of these Lawrence?

matt

You won't find RGB in a handheld screen, except for those that have been adapted from home consoles.  Because it's more efficient, they typically use direct digital signals.  Interpreting and converting these to RGB is beyond anything that you would be able to do without some serious educational background.

A few dozen people, or even a few hundred interested in this sort of mod is not enough to make it worthwhile.

D-Lite

QuoteYou won't find RGB in a handheld screen, except for those that have been adapted from home consoles.  Because it's more efficient, they typically use direct digital signals.  Interpreting and converting these to RGB is beyond anything that you would be able to do without some serious educational background.

A few dozen people, or even a few hundred interested in this sort of mod is not enough to make it worthwhile.
So you're telling me it ain't happnin'?
How do the GBA ones work?  Did Nintendo leave RGB on the PCB?  Just wondering how the other ones like the GBA-to-TV Converter work.

matt

The GBA converters work in the manner just described.  The difference is that there was enough demand for such a product that having it made (by professional engineers whose job it is to design such things) was profitable.