News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Help.

Started by edwood777, November 12, 2005, 09:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwood777

Anyonehave any fun things to do with with an old CPu that your aloud to take apart?  :D  

phreak97

how do you take a cpu apart?

viletim!

with fuming nitric acid! (probably lots of fun too)

kendrick

I imagine that the original poster is referring to the case in which the PC motherboard resides. It's a common colloquialism to refer to that part as the 'CPU' especially among people who grew up with one-piece keyboard/monitor/computer units like the original Macintosh and the old Commodore PET series.

The older PC cases (especially non AT ones) are big, thick sheet metal with unpolished edges that can cut a man in half. A couple of people have used them to store the guts of a homemade Supergun, and one guy I know combined a couple of game systems into one PC case running off a single power supply. As long as you have the tools (and some sturdy gloves) you can do almost anything you want with one of those cases.

-KKC, who has a couple of old AT&T Olivetti cases that could be used for custom projects. Or as ballast on a submarine.

Aidan

Quotewith fuming nitric acid! (probably lots of fun too)
Only if it's encapsulated in resin... It is a pain if you just want to remove the encapsulation, as it's tricky getting just the right amount of nitric acid. Usually takes a few practice runs first to get the right amount. Not that I have anything to do with reverse engineering silicon. (I don't!)
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Akir

Well ...

You could take it out and stab someone with the pins. Use the impression to play the best game of Connect the Dots!

atom

Quotewith fuming nitric acid! (probably lots of fun too)
Only if it's encapsulated in resin... It is a pain if you just want to remove the encapsulation, as it's tricky getting just the right amount of nitric acid. Usually takes a few practice runs first to get the right amount. Not that I have anything to do with reverse engineering silicon. (I don't!)
Ive been trying to figure out what country your a secret agent lab scientist for  for years now Aidan! Ukraine?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Aidan

Oh, there a good number of companies around the world with the facilities to do such things. Many commerical semiconductor manufacturers do so - when a chip that passed it's testing fails after encapsulation, they want to know why. Unfortunately, I'm not working for a company with such facilities, otherwise I would have made use of them a while ago!

[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]