Sega Game Gear Sound Issues

Started by DaveJ-UK, November 02, 2005, 04:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveJ-UK

I gather this is a very common fault.

I have a Sega Game Gear which plays fine, just without any sound. If I connect my PC speakers to the audio out jack and turn the volume right up then I get a good volume.

I expect it's the amp circuit in the Game Gear which has gone bad.

Does anyone know how to fix this? If so, is it an easy fix or would it be best to just chuck it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

viletim!

I've seen this fault before. The problem was the audio output coupling capacitor, a surface mount electro in series with the speaker, went open circuit. I can't remember the designator or value but I think it was something like 100�. And it's rated at some ridiculously low voltage, 4 volts or something. Replace it with a 16v one.

atom

QuoteI gather this is a very common fault.

I have a Sega Game Gear which plays fine, just without any sound. If I connect my PC speakers to the audio out jack and turn the volume right up then I get a good volume.

I expect it's the amp circuit in the Game Gear which has gone bad.

Does anyone know how to fix this? If so, is it an easy fix or would it be best to just chuck it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Extremely. Google!
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

DaveJ-UK

Thanks guys.

I did Google originally but only got the question and not a fix. I've just had another stab and I obviously didn't dig deep enough.

It looks like it's just one cap that needs replacing; I couldn't have asked for an easier fix than that :)

I've stuck the PDF on my web space here; http://www.davejuk.com/files/GGFix.pdf