News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Atari in the PC

Started by Blinky, October 19, 2005, 09:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinky

Hey guys, I figured I should post my biggest console mod. I also overclocked a NES and a genesis :)

Atari 2600 in the PC!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/keil...PC/newfront.jpg

And the wiring for it. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/keil...PC/IM002573.jpg

Here's an older pic of it, compared to a mountain dew can, of the size of the comp. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/keil...PC/IM002567.jpg

Enjoy!

It is also modded for composite audio/video (the jacks on the left) and it has a power LED indicator.

Vertigo

It's a bit rough around the edges i.e. you could do with replacing the controller ports and giving it a lick of paint on the front panel to clean up those scratches, and possibly get the cartridge to sit straight, or how about you reorient the interface so that you slot the cartridge in frontwards so that you're able to enclose the box fully?
But otherwise hey, good work fella, nice job. Pretty front panel art too :)

___
VTG, who is currently caning Skittles like they're going out of fashion and getting ready for a sugar rush

Blinky

QuoteIt's a bit rough around the edges i.e. you could do with replacing the controller ports and giving it a lick of paint on the front panel to clean up those scratches, and possibly get the cartridge to sit straight, or how about you reorient the interface so that you slot the cartridge in frontwards so that you're able to enclose the box fully?
But otherwise hey, good work fella, nice job. Pretty front panel art too :)

___
VTG, who is currently caning Skittles like they're going out of fashion and getting ready for a sugar rush
Yeah, I wanted to do that and that's in the works. I was home on leave when I did that, and I had little time to do the mod. A touchup is definitely in the works. I liked using the original ports, and I can't do a frontloading cart slot because a hard drive is there.

Vertigo

Yeh, not meaning to criticise, it comes with the territory of being a perfectionist Virgo ;)
Are there no other screw holes that you could attach the HD to and then use that small front bay opening for the cart slot?
Looking forward to your v1.1 of this :)

Endymion

Just curious, how do you have its video-out set up? Does it break out of the box for use with a TV, or did you do a composite or s-video out to plug directly into a TV card for your PC? Either option or both would be pretty cool.

Blinky

I wanted to do the Capture card option, but as you can see, its a shuttle computer.  I already have a soundblaster sound card taking up that slot, so I had to use external jacks (shuttles only have one PCI card slot).

It hooks up to the tv with a composite audio/video mod that I made, video on top, audio on the bottom of the two jacks on the left hand side.

And no Vertigo, trust me, there's no room. Its a shuttle - the computer is about the size of a toaster.

Vertigo

Perhaps an S-video mod to the actual 2600 then, or RGB if it's possible.
But like I said, nice work :)

Blinky

QuotePerhaps an S-video mod to the actual 2600 then, or RGB if it's possible.
But like I said, nice work :)
I *could* do S-Video, but I see no point, as I have no TV's with s-video.

Thanks, the mod isn't done, I'm actually running into a voltage issue. I don't think some of the chips are getting the full 5V because the fire buttons are stuck in the closed position thus firing continiously, as well as no controls at all, which means those are grounded as well. Good news, I just modified my last atari last night that I do for people (if you want the composite mod done to your atari, pm me), so tonight I start on the troubleshooting of the atari in the pc.

I also have a Atari 7800 composite audio/video mod in the works as well, so I can hook it up with a better picture with my cuttle cart 2. Perfect color, on a multicart that houses every atari 2600/7800 game.  :D  

Endymion

It's been said at every place I've seen the s-video mod done that RGB with the 2600 or 7800 is not possible. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get composite just by plugging in to the RF-out, but I would gather that considering where it's coming from, it stands to be very noisy, making a mod for composite desirable. So if you have to go to that kind of effort why not s-video?

Blinky

It's been said at every place I've seen the s-video mod done that RGB with the 2600 or 7800 is not possible. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get composite just by plugging in to the RF-out, but I would gather that considering where it's coming from, it stands to be very noisy, making a mod for composite desirable. So if you have to go to that kind of effort why not s-video?
I dont have a tv with svideo so its a waste...

MaxDestiny

There are a lot of decently priced TV's at wallmart with s-video and component video if your interesed. ^_^

Makes a huge diffrence in video quality have that s-video or component. no dot craw no rainbow swirlz etc. ^_^

Vertigo

Erm... s-video is hardly worth buying a new TV for ;)

Endymion

I would think almost any TV card worth its salt would have s-video.

Blinky

QuoteI would think almost any TV card worth its salt would have s-video.
But I can't get a TV card...

Sound card, remember? 1 pci slot. Shuttle.

Ah never mind.

I tackled the thing yesterday to get it working, I think it didn't work from the start, because now its doing the same thing, even after I solder the 5 volt from another atari and used the atari power supply.

Ah screw it, I'll just get another light sixer off of ebay, do the mod to that, and dremel the main board off, so that the only part I have left extra is the power conversion and then just solder 12v to the switch, then to the atari board.

That part will be hidden, so its all good.

Endymion

QuoteI would think almost any TV card worth its salt would have s-video.
But I can't get a TV card...

Sound card, remember? 1 pci slot. Shuttle.
There are VIVO video cards though. Never say die. :)