Can I save my Super Famicom?

Started by downsouth420, October 18, 2005, 03:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouth420

When shopping for (yet another) Super NES, I decided to get a NTSC Super Famicom instead. So I ordered one that included the controller and unit. I had a Genesis power supply which had always worked with Super Nintendos. And I had a Gamecube S-Video cable which works with SFCs and SNESs. So after a hell of a time with the postoffice, I finally got my SFC. I plugged everything in and it worked perfectly. The following day, it worked just fine. But later on in that day, I tried playing a game when the system came on but the game didn't load. No biggy I thought. So I cleaned the contacts of the game and tried it again and this time the system didn't turn on. After checking my connections, I tried it again. No luck. Thinking the power supply just went bad, I tried hooking my Genesis up. It powered on just fine.  

So by power of deduction, it is my guess that because I used an American power supply, I fried my Super Famicom. Is there a way to fix it because I am severely broke. Or do I have to bite the dust and use it as a door stop?

kendrick

I wouldn't think that your Super Fami had fried if you hadn't said that you were able to get it to work initially. How is it that your Genesis power supply end was able to fit into the Nintendo port? I don't see how the dimensions are remotely similar. If you're brave enough to open the Super Famicom up, can you see if there are clearly labelled Nintendo chips in there? Posting pictures would be cool, if you can do it. My first impulse is to think that you have a bootleg piece of hardware, but I have no rational basis for that thought.

If you're very lucky, we've got a fusible link or some other easily replaced component that protected the board from being fried. But if it is indeed a bootleg board, then you'll be deep into uncharted territory.

-KKC, still deep into air conditioning repair. Dammit.

NFG

downsouth420

Actually, I remember the Turbo Grafx 16 uses the Genesis power unit as well. A search for a Super Famicom power unit shows that it is also compatible with the PC-Engine. So the Genesis unit would fit in a Super Famicom by default. Anyway, all I need is to find my gamebit, which has been gone for a long time.

phreak97

actually the genesis and sfc cables are pretty much identical aside from the current rating, which is in fact better than that of the sfc, there is absolutely no reason why the sfc wouldnt work with a genesis plug, assuming ofcourse you are using a 110v genesis cable in a 110v socket, or a 220-240v megadrive cable in a 220-240v socket.

theres a fuse suspended in mid air on the top left of the sfc motherboard, check that to begin with. if thats fine, you might like to try checking the regulater which is right next to it labled I G O.. with the console powered on, you should get 5V between G and O and about 10V between I and G (voltage from the power cable). after that, im out for ideas..

Vertigo

By the way, just a small observation, a PAL SNES takes 9v whereas a NTSC SNES takes 10v. It might simply be that it's not getting enough power.
If you got a power cable with the SFC, use that one please. If you have no stepdown, go and buy one, for the wattage you need to power a SFC, they're cheap. Check the wattage not voltage on the PSU and buy a stepdown that's suitably above that rating. Unless you're in a 110v territory, in which case you don't need one.
If you registered it would be useful, for everyone else's information and for your own ability to track topics.
Cheers.

Paper

QuoteHow is it that your Genesis power supply end was able to fit into the Nintendo port? I don't see how the dimensions are remotely similar.
Actually the shape of the plugs is completely interchangeable in Europe at least.
SNES takes 9v 1.3A and the Mega Drive 9v 1.2A.

Edit: Clarity.
BIRD BIRD

Vertigo

Yes, he's right. The American SNES is the one with the stupidly shaped power in socket, most likely done because of the voltage difference.

Guest_downsouth420

Well I registered and it wouldn't let me do anything so I am just using a guest account for now. Anyway, I managed to get my SFC open without the security bit (I had a very small hex bit). The electronic store is ordering the fuse for me. I just hope 120V is correct for that one. I should get it Friday.I'll tell you how it turns out when I'm done.

Guest_downsouth420

Yep. The fuse was bad. Thank you all.  

phreak97

ok, the pal snes is NOT a sfc, the sfc hardware is actually more like the us snes in every way except the power socket, the pal snes runs 9V AC not dc, though it will work on Dc, the super famicom however will not run on ac, and you will damage it if you try. the us genesis runs off 10v dc, and so does the super famicom, so their adaptors are interchangable.  the difference in shape for the american snes has nothing to do with voltage as they all have the same voltage (or close, the 1v is irrelevant). it's more likely to be the AC/DC difference, and even then i dont know why europe got a standard jack and america got some obscure one. i think the socket in the sfc actually has a larger centre terminal, so the euro adaptor wont plug into it.. but i could be wrong.

in the end,
pal = 9v ac
ntsc = 10v dc

the 1v is irrelevant because it all gets regulated to 5v anyway, which means itll work on anything between 7 and probably about 25V, although it'd be pretty hot at 25v, and i personally wouldnt try it.

Congrats on fixing it, i recomment replacing the fuse with another fuse and not a piece of wire, if you buy a fuse holder it should fit accross the gap ok. it's a 1.5A fuse you need, the glass ones will do fine.

if your fuse keeps blowing, you could try putting in a 1.5A slow blow fuse, if it's just a spike or current when it's turned on that kills the fuse, then a slow blow will allow for that.