News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

SNES Overclocking?

Started by Vertigo, October 15, 2005, 12:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

I'm sorry to be a complete spoon, but I've used the search facility and also sat on google for the last 20 minutes but can't find anything about overclocking a SNES. All I can find is crap about PSPs and emulators.
Has it been/can it be done?
Is it actually of any use with any games?
Can overclocking a SNES improve the framerate of things like Starfox, or would you have to overclock the SuperFX co-proc as well?
And so many other questions?
If anyone can give me some nice answers, that'd be much appreciated.
I'm sure RobIvy must have something on it, as I believe it was he that did a good guide to overclocking the Megadrive.
Cheers.

atom

As with any of those old processors, you simply have to replace the oscillator with a slightly higher one. Effects however would be minimal imo and you would def not get good results with carts with extra hardware. But its up to the modder if its worth it or not, cutting and tapping lines isn't the easiest nor is it the safest for the hardware.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Vertigo

Well as I have never done it before and am definitely not into the PC scene (way too beardy for me) I was wondering if anyone else had actually done it and had a little guide or a few pointers as to what to attach to whom.

RobIvy64

well ive kind of adopted this as a project for the last few months, with no success yet. The snes is a tricky machine that runs at 1.79 MHz when pulling data from the ROM, and 2.5 MHz most of the time. Occasionally it will run at 3.58, but im not sure when. Just simply replacing the oscillator *will* overclock it, but everything else as well, since the entire system runs on a 21.47 MHz clock. If anything comes up ill be sure to make a guide.

-R
"Console Mods" lurker

NFG

I have a guide to overclocking the video separately from the CPU, I'll dig that out.