Master System pad controller

Started by Vertigo, October 15, 2005, 12:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

Is it the same chipouts/pinouts/etc as a Megadrive pad? I'd have thought not, coz there's less buttons and stuff, but I haven't been home to check mine out yet.
Any advice on the SMS pad?

kendrick

The Megadrive/Genesis pad has an encoder only because it has to deal with the multiple action buttons (and on six-button pads, the backward-compatibility MODE function.) Master System pads are much simpler, in that you just have discrete switches for each direction and for the two fire buttons. In fact, the pinout is identical to that of an Atari joystick with the exception of the extra button.

Do we have info on the GamesX front page? Yes we do!

http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/sg1k.htm

-KKC, who has $60 in store credit at the local game store and doesn't want to buy anything. Did the second episode of Shin Megami Tensei come out yet?

Vertigo

Ah! Excellent! Coz I couldn't find it in the actual controller section.
This of course means that it's even easier to do what I wanted to do, and with a single wire internally I can map a controller port input (and hence a button) to the reset/pause button on the actual machine too, to save getting up and down every time I want to pause the fucking thing.
Thanks for that.

SMS pads and MD Pads work on each console though, I use 6 button MD Pads on my SMS because I hate the SMS D-Pad.

Yod@

Quoteto save getting up and down every time I want to pause the fucking thing.
Just on the off-chance that you're talking about Wonderboy 3, IIRC you can pause the game by pushing a direction on a pad plugged into port 2.

Vertigo

That's interesting :)
But anyway, yeh I'm going to sort this Master System out with a one-wire easy mod to add reset function to the controller port, probably best to route that to the right pin for the Start button.
And then have to sort out RGB for it, coz it's a version 2, so I'll have to yank out the RF and replace it with an RGB output instead. AFAIK the RGB cables for MD and SMS are the same, so I don't need to make a seperate cable, right?
Are PAL SMS systems 60Hz switchable?

Yod@

The PAL SMSII is definitely 60Hz switchable, but I haven't done an RGB mod on it yet.
And yes, apparently the SMS1 and MD AV sockets use the same pinout.