Neo Geo Pocket Color - Backlight

Started by XianXi, October 10, 2005, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XianXi

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out a way to create a "backlight" for my NGPC. I believe I can install 2 white leds on the bottom of the screen with shaved heads to spread the lights instead of direct the light.

Anyone know if this has been done before? Also I can't get one screw out, it looks like a 3 slotted flat head, tri tip looking. Anyone know which tool I need to get this out?

Thanks

MaxDestiny

I can help you out in the screwdriver department. What you will need is a triwing screwdriver they can be purchased here, this is on ebay as a buy it now auction. If you dont have an ebay account they also have a website you can purchase it from.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Electric-Quarte...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

hope this helps ^_^

Oh and also I also forgot to metion they sell bits as well, for your consoles.  

NFG

You cannot backlight a colour LCD screen.  Or, rather, you can't backlight a colour LCD that's not designed for it.  Black and white ones yes, but not colour.  It doesn't work with the GBA and it doesn't work with the NGPC.  You might be able to adapt an Afterburner kit and front-light it...

XianXi

QuoteYou cannot backlight a colour LCD screen.  Or, rather, you can't backlight a colour LCD that's not designed for it.  Black and white ones yes, but not colour.  It doesn't work with the GBA and it doesn't work with the NGPC.  You might be able to adapt an Afterburner kit and front-light it...
I was thinking about maybe running some kind of platic film either under or over the LCD do hold the light. I am still waiting for my triwing so when it comes in I will be able to tell a little better once I open it.

dj898

interesting...
with four of NGP and NGPC I may be tempted to try if it's doable...

D-Lite

This mod (frontlit) has been done for a couple of years now.  A site used to exist called Mashmods that used the Afterburner kit for the NGPC, although the lens is slightly small for the NGPC vertically.  Quite an easy mod apart from modifying the case to do it.

I looked into this a long time ago.  Lighting it from the back definitely doesn't work.  You have to light it from the front but additionally modding the case sounds like a real pain.  I'm also not too sure what you would use or how you would power it...I tried using the Nomad's 9v cathodes but they weren't bright enough without using some means of reflection.  Some high output LEDs might work but thos are going to be an additional pain to fit.  I'm curious to see who's done this mod though.

-Segasonicfan