Dreamcast backup battery

Started by Llama, October 05, 2005, 05:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llama

Alright...  the backup battery in the Dreamcast is a Panasonic ML2020, which is a 3v rechargeable lithium cell.  I'm trying to replace one of mine, and I'm wondering if something like a non-rechargeable CR2032 would work?  Any way of disabling the charge circuits?

Aidan

Depending on which country you're in, you may well be able to obtain a replacement for the rechargable ML2020. How often do you power the DC on?
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Not often lately...  Do you think it recharges only when the DC is on?  Maybe I should leave it on for a while...

Aidan

From memory, the power switch on the DC interrupts all power into the DC, so the battery wouldn't recharge without the DC being turned on. I last looked at DC power system years ago, so I can't remember too well!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

kripp

Ive replaced the battery in a few Dreamcast units, ive always used standard non-rechargable CR2032's. Untill now, I didn't even know the stock battery was rechargable.

Yup.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dk...nasonic&site=us

This place sells them, but I'd much prefer to just spend $2 on a 2032.  I'd really prefer to leave my DC on for a while though to charge it, so we'll see if that works...