News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

iPod Screen Woes

Started by TJ_Kat, October 03, 2005, 01:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Kat

for no apparent reason at all, my iPod screen has decided to stop working. I'm really at a loss on this one. since i have no waranty left, I opened up the iPod (I'm rather impressed with it's innards) wiggled around some ribon connections and managed to get the top 1/4 of the screen working again. at one point, I had the whole screen working again, but that lasted for all of a second, and I couldn't duplicate whatever it was I did.

consigned that repairs were needed, I re-assembled everthing and gave the iPod a good smack in frustration... which somehow got the next half of the screen working again. physical violence, the cure to all technological problems =p

anyway, so now i have an iPod with 3/4 or a working screen. useable, but I'd rather a full working screen.

so, what I'd like to know from someone who knows something about lcd's, is some possible causes of this screen problem. ideally, I'd rather not have to send it to apple for fixing, and, considering a smack got half the screen working, I'm hoping it could just be a lose connection somewhere that I can fix myself.

on a brighter note, thanks to taking it apart and putting it back together, I finally got my malfunctionning hold switch working properly again =)

Aidan

Quite probably the connection between the screen itself and the main board. I'm not sure what Apple use however. If it's a flexible cable, then you might well find that either one end's come loose (esp if the LCD end is glued on) or that tracks on the cable are physically damaged. Applying localised pressure can help guide you to where the connection problems are.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

TJ_Kat

hmm... maybe i'll take pictures...

it's starting to get really weird... it's like every time i go to use my ipod, something different is wrong with the screen... i lost the 3/4 working the next time i used it, most of the time, i'm back to 1/4 of the screen with various problems with it, but sometimes i get a rolling effect over the full screen.

*sigh* i can't afford this right now =(

TJ_Kat

update:
since the screen worked only sporadically, i couldn't tell my ipod's battery was dead and it went kaput. i turned it back on to make sure it was just the battery out of juice, and lo and behold, the screen works again. all of it.

as if it's inexplicable cause for failure wasn't enough, it's inexplicable normal functionality has me equally confused.

anyone have any insights as to what the hell is going on and what i can do to prevent it from happenning again? i wish to become a little bit educated before i send apple a somewhat harshly worded email.