News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

GBASP Glare

Started by benzaldehyde, November 28, 2003, 05:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benzaldehyde

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure something out. I just got a GBASP and when I play it, I notice that there is a bluing glare when I hold the screen at a direct angle to my field of view. It becomes less apparent when the screen is tilted toward the ground slightly, even though some of it is still noticeable. Should I tilt the screen toward me slowly, I can notice the bluish glare in horizontal bands along with areas of seemingly normal illumination. I was wondering if anyone else notices this on their unit. I have a sinking suspicion that this is a design flaw in the GBASP, but I want to hear the opinion of others before I jump to conclusions. In any case, I'll keep the damn thing. I can actually see the game I'm playing now... :) Thanks.

davidleeroth

I don't own an SP and therefore can't say whether there's a recommended viewing angle for the screen in the manual.
This angle seems to vary a little from screen to screen, I've encountered angles 10-30 for LCD screens.

I think the glare is a feature but check the manual first.

eek

Unfortunately, it is a design flaw in the GBA SP. Such are the consequences when you use a relatively crude form of illumination as that found in the SP's front light system. I actually don't think it's that bad (having tried almost every form of light device for the old GBA's including installing an Afterburner frontlight kit), and the SP is definitely the best solution bar getting a GBA Player or similar device to play on a TV.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Sony do with their PSP screen. Nintendo will probably offer a better solution eventually, but while the GBA SP rules the roost, it's just something we'll have to put up with.

Vertigo

On a technical note, why is it with a screen like this, if you tilt it to one side it goes more green and if you tilt it to the right you get a pro-red colouring?

CZroe

The light source comes from one side and is reflected down by the light guide which then allows it to reflect right back through it so you can see the image. The Afterburner works the exact same way and has the exact-same viewing angle issue. The Afterburner also has a magnified "Trapezoid effect" where you can see the sides of the light-guide reflected in the game screen from any useable angle.

The GBASP is superior :)