Sega saturn pad shematic

Started by ORTA, September 14, 2005, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORTA

Hi Lawrence, I'd like to ask a question regarding the sega saturn control pad schematic. What component is used in RA1A & RA2A that has a value of 4.7k is it a zener diode a ceramic capacitor or an inverter? thanks in advance

P.S.

If this isn't the right forum to post this topic kindly transfer it in the controller technics department then I'll look for it in there thanks again :)  

NFG

Putting controller questions in the controller forum is a better idea.  ;)

RA usually means 'resister array'.  4.7k indicates the value of each resistor.  In the Saturn's case (and, in fact, pretty much every controller) reach button is held high (+5v) until it's pressed, when the switch shorts it to Ground.  The resistors prevent an instant fuse-blowing short by limiting the current flow.  This way the chips that read the controller button status can tell if the button is high or low.

I don't know of any controller that is active-high, so there's almost certainly a resistor array for every controller ever made, either in the device or in the console.

ORTA

Aidan

The worst thing you can do with logic lines is leave them unconnected. Logic gates generally have a high resistance, so interference and wandering static charges can cause the logic lines to flip state between 0 and 1 fairly easily.

The array of resistors simply ensure that the logic lines are pulled up to +5V with a low enough resistance that a nearby mobile phone (etc) won't majorly affect the voltage that appears on the line. If they weren't there, then you'd find that the controller made random movements if there was a strong enough source of interference nearby.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]