How can i use a PSX-Controller on SNES??

Started by talim, September 12, 2005, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talim

hi,

i bought a snes (super famicon) on ebay these days.
my problem is now that i dont want to use the original controllers that come with the console.

so my idea was that i can use/buy a 'converter?' to use my playstation controllers on the snes.

unfortunatly i cant find any 'converter' or anything else that would work.

so, i hope anyone here can help me out.

Endymion

talim

thanks for the fast reply!  :D

that is exactly what im looking for.

but what you think about this:

Quote# Compatible with USA and Japanese consoles only

Im from germany so this converter might not work.

curiously LIK-SANG is the only store (of 4 i found) who gives that information.

any idea?

kendrick

From the relevant GamesX page:

http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/snesdat.htm

In a nutshell, it looks like such a convertor might not work on an EU-region SNES because of the funny clock signal. I don't have either piece of hardware handy to test, so anybody should feel free to jump in and confirm or refute. But once again, European gamers get the short shrift. I get the feeling that any compatibility with American consoles is a happy accident due to the use of NTSC in Japan.

Incidentally, can I ask why the Playstation controller is so popular? From the segmented D-pad to the symmetrical action buttons, everything about the PSX pad feels completely wrong in my hands. Of course, you are free to disagree and use whatever controller you like.

-KKC, who needs to find a Saturn-styled PSX pad as soon as humanly possible. Anybody want to recommend a good third-party Dual Shock 2 device?

yesterday i found this store on the web: http://www.lan-kwei.com/padconE/

The converter this store offers looks same like the one at LIK-SANG.
The productinformations says that this converter works both on PAL and NTSC consoles.
Arghhh!!!  :blink:  :blink:
What is the wrong and what is the right information???

I've now ordered the on at LAN-KWEI and hopeing that it will work.

@kendrick:
I think i preffer the psx-pad because i only had a sega genesis before. my beginning with videogames was a 'philips g????' then atari,msx,comodore128,amiga and last a pc.
I never had a sega saturn or neogeo or whatever, so i dont have experience with other controlers!

BTW: what other controler can i use with a SNES?

talim

ups, sorry!
the post from GUEST was me.
forget to log in.

Guest_Martin

You can modify the controlers themselves to be set to NTSC or PAL regions (as far as I'm aware it's just a jumper alteration)

kendrick

My favorite controller for the SNES is the Capcom-branded one that they created for use with Street Fighter II. Can I find a picture online? Yes I can!

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/...soldier_pad.jpg

The Capcom Soldier pad was designed with a left-handed grip and a floating platform on the right for the six action buttons. There was also a version for the 3DO and for the Genesis/Megadrive. Obviously these controllers hit the market before it was common for a console to recognize multiple encoders, so they're prety much compatible with any game that uses the standard controller. Good stuff if you can find it.

-KKC, who'll be at Botcon when all the new TV shows start. That may not be a bad thing...